Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi all would like to know where is best place to buy a telescope setup from and whats a decent one to buy! This will be my first one so it will be a starter but would like one that's gonna see some good stuff out in the sky! So if any one can help please do thanks

If only it were that easy lol - do you have a budget in mind?

You'll be wanting to do a fair bit of research if totally new to the hobby. The Primers Section is a good place to start.

Plus have a look at scopes in the £100-£200 range at First Light Optics (link at top of page). You need to understand the different types of scope and mount before making a decision. :)

I agree with the advise to go research.

I am a newbie as well, and I have yet to buy a scope. Currently just using my naked eye and a plain DSLR.

At first I thought I wanted the biggest telescope I can get for my money. This will result in a large Dobsonian reflector as it gives the best price per inch.

Then I realized I would do most of my observations from my light polluted backyard. And I need to store it somewhere.

So because of that I have adjusted my requirements to be brighter planetary instead of deep sky objects.

This means magnification means more. So I am now considering a catadioptric like Maksutov Cassegrain such as SkyMax 127. As a bonus it is compact.

Now I am trying to get a feel on how much I want to spend on a mount. Should I start with a cheaper tracking only mount like SupaTrak or get a high end HEQ6 because I want take photos as well?

So take your time, no need to rush, the universe is 13 billion yrs old, it will still be there!

S'n'S are my local astro shop too and have given me plenty of good advice. I first went there thinking I wanted a 130mm Goto, but after talking things over I opted for a Skyliner 200P dobsonian. Since been back a number of times to buy things and their staff have been very helpful.

Hey welcome to SGL :)

I see you are based in Cambs like me, if you ever want to meet up, get an idea of kit etc. Feel free to ask :(

ps. A reflector will give you the best views for your budget, that Explorer is not a bad idea at all.

Thinking of getting this one: Skywatcher EXPLORER-130EM 130mm (5.1") f/900 Newtonian reflector kit complete with RA Drive motor for £160

You're on the right lines, but I'd be looking for something with a 'P' in it, like this..

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P

The 'P' means it has a parabolic primary mirror, which is worth the extra cash. But I agree with what others have said that you should have a read up before spending your cash.

You need to be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of the various designs. Don't rush in to things; read up and ask questions, we on the forum are only too glad to help :)

As a rule, Dobsonians will give you the best optics for your money because the mount is simple and inexpensive, therefore the money you pay is going on the optics and not the mount.

Also, remember there is no one scope that will 'do it all'. But the one I listed would be a good start for the money. It'll give you chance to see what's up there as you learn more about the subject. As your experience grows you'll get to know what you want out of a scope and which is right for your needs.

Archived