Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wierd goings on with my HEQ5 mount tonight

swag72

Out came the scope tonight and I set it all up as per usual. PA, followed by 2 star align. I then went to my target for tonight and got the guiding going - Everything was OK.

Then I noticed that there was a lot of movement on my telescope finder in Stellarium, the telescope finder was dropping quite quickly. The guiding went wrong and it wouldn't stay on the guide star. There was also a noticeable change in noise on the mount. I checked all connections, guidescope etc was all OK. It had moved so much that I had to align again to try to get it straightened out a little.

So I went to another part of the sky and recalibrated PHD. The first 2 calibration steps (I think that's N and S) took significantly longer than usual - 25 steps - when it's consistently been done in 9. The DEC backlash cleared and then in E and W it calibrated in the normal 9 steps.

I wonder whether this is indicative of a problem developing in the gearings of the mount or something. It is very different to normal. Or, do you just sometimes have gremlins out with you some nights, where for absolutely no reason, things just don't seem to work normally?

Would welcome your thoughts on this.

Or, do you just sometimes have gremlins out with you some nights, where for absolutely no reason, things just don't seem to work normally?

I have the HEQ5 Pro, and this has happened to me to one night then fine the next, i will go with the above qoute.........

No help i know, so i hope all goes well when you next use your mount

Cheers folks - Puts my mind at rest. Just looked at the data from last night and the guiding worked fine for over 5 hours, so maybe it was just a gliche. Regarding power, I am powered from the mains, so should be OK. If there was a problem with the power supply I would not have then got 5 hours guiding after that.

Archived