NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Safely transporting an 8" Dobsonian

Hello Folks!

I am currently looking to buy my first scope (8" dobsonian) and was wondering the safest way to transport it to my Dad's in Scotland.

The tube is 44.5" long and it will fit crossways in my boot.

I was thinking of buying a roll of bubble wrap and making it a nice jacket to minumise jarring.

Can anyone please advise on the best way to transport such a scope safely?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

I moved down from Aberdeen to the south of England about 5 yrs back, I put my 8" dob ota in a snow boarding bag, and it was packed with everything else on the removal van like that (still makes me shudder when I think of putting it on the removal van) but it worked fine....the snowboarding bag fits a treat and I still use it if i'm taking the scope out and about...

I take a 12" dob to Kelling and back twice a year and 15 miles up and down the motorway to a dark site. I just bungee it on the back seat and put the seat belt round it with the odd bit of padding here and there. Doesn't hurt it at all - it holds collimation well for 2 or three sessions :D

Thanks for your help and comments guys. I'm much more confident now.

I think have just made a deal on my first scope now and excited is an understatement :D

Roll on 2 weeks and the Scottish highlands!

(Closer to heaven:p)

I put my 12" dob (solid tube) in the back of my fiesta. I fold down the back seats and slide the passenger seat forwards. The tube fits in lengthways behind it (wrapped in a old cellular blanket) and held in place by gently winding the passenger seat back. The base just sits in the boot next to it.

Andrew

I do much the same. I have an old Rover 200 and my 12" dob goes in there no probs with the back seats down along with a load of other gear. I pack a deflected double airbed around it to stop it rolling about. main things I think are keep the mirror end slightly down in you can and ensure nothing can dent the tube. anything else can be collimated back.

Hopefully the skys are clearer for you than they have been for me recently, nice and dark up here when it is though

My Dad lives in Perthshire over looking Loch tay and thats part of why I'm so interested in the sky at night. The skys are stunning as long as the weather is kind! I think the Scotts make up the bad weather mostly to keep us Englishmen away :mad:

(And I dont blame them!):rolleyes:

I put my 12" dob (solid tube) in the back of my fiesta. I fold down the back seats and slide the passenger seat forwards. The tube fits in lengthways behind it (wrapped in a old cellular blanket) and held in place by gently winding the passenger seat back. The base just sits in the boot next to it.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew - i have had a good measure and i thunk i should be fine. I've got an Audi a4 avant and it 'should' fit diagonaly in the boot. 2 young kids in the back so thats not any use unfortunately...

And all the trappings of 2 young kids also doesnt help :D

Cheers guys :hello2:

2 young kids in the back so thats not any use unfortunately...

And all the trappings of 2 young kids also doesnt help :D

I know what you mean. We've only got the one but I couldn't get her and the scope in the car - nevermind all her stuff! Need to buy a bigger car!

Andrew

Archived