Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

USB hub for observatory

Hi folks, I am planning on running my observatory remotely from inside my house (about seven feet away from the nearby conservatory) and would appreciate any recommendations for a reliable, self-powered USB hub, to do the donkey work. I figure I will need at least six USB sockets to future proof the set-up (CCD, guide cam, filter wheel, mount/handset, 2xrobo focusers). My SX wheel is quite power hungry so I need something that doesn't skimp on power, hence bus power is right out.

I had planned to get a Cat 5/USB hub, but they appear to be a factor of 20-40 times more expensive than the equivalent USB only devices. I have a 5 metre USB repeater cable, I take it I would be able to use this to connect to the hub (with the addition of another, standard USB cable)? The repeater cable would be running along a piece of conduit alongside a mains cable - is there any possibility of interference?

much obliged for any advice!

Try this one

Belkin USB 2.0 7-PORT HUB * WHITE: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Be very carefull with USB hubs, I managed to blow my Meade DSI using one that wasn't surge protected.

Cheers Jon

Thanks. Everything in the observatory will be run from an extension plugged into a surge protector - I am hoping that will prevent such an incident!

I just use a couple of powered USB extensions (Lindy) and a 7 port powered hub (Maplin) for all my gear. Just remember to mark each port with the camera name etc and use it there each time.

Thanks Ken - why do you need to mark the port for the camera, is it not enough to mark the cables?

Mark both!

That way, when you temporarily change the set up, the same camera goes into the same port on the Hub - that way you don't get the error message 'Camera not found - reinstall usb drivers" etc That can be a real PITA at 2am

The cat5 Network USB Hub would need to be a gigabit hub to support the full bandwidth of USB2.0. I have tried using the first type of Gigabit hub called a Silex 3000 but I had problems with it although some people claim to have sucess with it.

As you are reasonably close to your setup an active USB lead and a local 7 port hub with a PSU capable of delivering 2A plus should suffice.

Regards

Kevin

I have a 7 port hub attached to my mount, using 4 of the ports, works quite well and have had no problems so far. Using a 5m cable hub to laptop gives me a bit of freedom and I can also remote laptop (obsy) to latop (house) but rearly use that.

Jim

Ah, have often had the 'device not found' fun in the early hours, usually because I've put the camera into the filter wheel socket and vice versa. Why can't windows just install your devices to work with all USB ports? :D

The cat5 Network USB Hub would need to be a gigabit hub to support the full bandwidth of USB2.0. I have tried using the first type of Gigabit hub called a Silex 3000 but I had problems with it although some people claim to have sucess with it.

As you are reasonably close to your setup an active USB lead and a local 7 port hub with a PSU capable of delivering 2A plus should suffice.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I had the Silex 3000 recommended to me by Stayfocused but it only has two USB 2.0 ports I'd still need a hub as well. It is also considerably more expensive than a basic USB hub. I am only about 2-3 metres as the crow flies, about 4-5 along the wall and through the conduit, so I figure a 5m repeater (Which I already have) plus a short USB A/B cable should do the trick. I could also plug said USB A/B cable into a local laptop until I get the PC set up in the conservatory. Ultimately all the house PCs will be networked via a wireless router so I could control the conservatory laptop using active desktop while sitting watching TV! :rolleyes:

Ok,

Am I right in thinking that I only need to run 1 USB Cable from the warm room to the Scope Room, then that goes into the Hub by the Scope and all the Camera.Scope/Mound cables just plug into it?

Or should I try and run seperate USB cables between each room?

What does a Repeater Cable do that a Standard USB cable doesn`t?

Sorry to ask in this thread, but it seemed relevent

Mark

while sitting watching TV! :mad:

Done it, got the t-shirt.....no fun :D . I found it easier and much safer to remote the tv :rolleyes:. No to be honest, remoting it is great fun as a party trick and for me that is where it ends, accidents happen and although I also have a camera to watch the whole setup I would rather be there in case of problems, too much money gone into this just for the loss of a few hours of comfort. Another reason to be there is the pleasure of looking at the sky and learning about what is up there :hello2:

Jim

Archived