Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

One step forward: visited a physical store

ismangil

After weeks of reading books, forum, magazines, today I visited a real telescope shop. I was in London for the day for a property workshop, and it was close to Widescreen Centre.

Unfortunately they're back ordered on the Helios 10x50 I was interested in.

What I did get was a sense of sizes of telescopes. From huge reflectors, to the compact SkyMax 127 which is currently my favorite if and when I do buy a telescope.

So onwards with the journey!

I can't think of anything I'd rather have than my Mak 127, if I were to get another scope it would be a Mak 180 pro ATM,

I've thought of all sorts from frac's to dob's, but the Mak is just so practical for me.

If you want to look at the moon and planets without spending a lot, I don't think a small mak will disappoint.

Exactly. I have decided I will do most of my observing from my backyard, which is of course with light pollution meant only bright stuff is feasible.

Thanks all for the high praise of SkyMax 127!

I can't think of anything I'd rather have than my Mak 127, if I were to get another scope it would be a Mak 180 pro ATM,

I've thought of all sorts from frac's to dob's, but the Mak is just so practical for me.

They are great scopes but the cool down time means realistically they have to be in an observatory. They say the old 7" meade mak(great scope) used to take all winter and spring to cool down.:)

Regards Steve

Yea, I've noticed cool down can be quite long, but since I keep mine in the garage it's ready to go anytime :)

Very sensible option.

How easy does it cool in summer in the garage? My garage is like an oven, is yours insulated?

Regards Steve

Yea the garage is quite well insulated, I've also been leaving the door open for a few hrs through the day, but I've also got drinks in there and they stay quite cool as long as they are nearer to the ground.

Yea, I've noticed cool down can be quite long, but since I keep mine in the garage it's ready to go anytime :)

Newbie question:

How would you know if the scope has cooled down or not? There isn't like an indicator light or something is there?

The image looks a bit wobbly if the scope has not cooled down - it is like having bad seeing conditions inside your scope (instead of in the stratosphere). I just take my scope outside when I get home from work - it is cooled down after dinner. It's nothing to worry about in a small mak.

Yea the garage is quite well insulated, I've also been leaving the door open for a few hrs through the day, but I've also got drinks in there and they stay quite cool as long as they are nearer to the ground.

Cant beat a few cold ones in a summer observing session:)

Think I'll have to get the old Celotex up in my garage this year.

Clear skies

Steve

Archived