NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 200p or 200pds?

Hello

Trying to decide between these to scopes. It would mainly be used for visual and maybe every now and then some ap.

I know the pds has a different focuser and the secondary is slightly bigger for better ap I assume.

Is the focuser that much better than the stock 200p and would the slightly bigger secondary make that much difference to ap?

Does the larger secondary on the pds impact on the visual side of things?

Or do I save myself £50 and just get the stock 200p

I'm leaning towards the pds because if I get into ap it might serve me better in the long run

Also does anyone know how much these OTA weigh? can't seem to find any details on this

Please help

All the best

Jake

If considering any ap, go for the pds. Easier to get perfect focuse, and possible with nerly any cam to reach focuse. Optical quaity is pretty much the same. Weight, hmm, i think the

pds is around 7,5kg. But take that with a big spoon of salt, im not posetive about the weight.

Another option is to get the 200P and then get the SkyWatcher replacement low-profile crayford at £124.60 that is better than the focuser that comes with the PDS.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=sw_low-profile_focuser

John

BTW the standard 200P focuser sells for about £40.00 if it's removed from a new scope, which would help pay for a replacement.

Thanks for all the input everyone think my mind is made up now.

Does anyone with the 200 pds that does ap with using a dslr unguided happen to have some pics so I can see what to expect from the scope I have found a couple on here but if anyone has some more I would be grateful

Cheers

Jake

Everything in my gallery is taken using the 200pds and an unmodded 550d.

Well, with the exeptions of teh widefield of course, but you'll quickly see wich ones that is.. :icon_eek:

Jan Erik Johansen's Gallery

Not that the scope itself have a Lot more potential then what i've achived, i'm not very skilled in image processing yet, or taking the frames, for that matter.

So, what you see in my gallery is pretty much what a bigginer with basic camera/PS skills shuold be able to achive with only a little bit of work.

Everything in my gallery is taken using the 200pds and an unmodded 550d.

Well, with the exeptions of teh widefield of course, but you'll quickly see wich ones that is.. :icon_eek:

Jan Erik Johansen's Gallery

Not that the scope itself have a Lot more potential then what i've achived, i'm not very skilled in image processing yet, or taking the frames, for that matter.

So, what you see in my gallery is pretty much what a bigginer with basic camera/PS skills shuold be able to achive with only a little bit of work.

Thank you very much they are all very good think your being a little harsh on yourself by saying your not skilled

At least I have an idea now of what is possible thank you

Archived