Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Moon (Saturn)

Lovely crisp views of Saturn tonight - Brightest I've ever seen (I assume due to it being just past opposition?) Even stayed nice and sharp with my 15mm Meade Ep with a 2x Barlow - very pleased and hopefully captured some good webcam images (will see after processing).

Could clearly see 2 moons - the nearest I assume was Titan but not sure which the other was - same axix more or less and about the same distance again further out than Titan - anyone know which moon this probably was?

Dione and Tethys are closest to Saturn on one side of the planet, you probably saw one if them. Titan is about twice the distance as these two on the opposite side and clearly much brighter. Iapetus is also clearly visible above Titan and well off Saturn's orbital plane.

At the moment I'm getting the following (refractor view)

Titan ------ Rhea / Saturn ----------- Tethys ---- Dione

Enceladus is on the Saturn side of Tethys but I can't see it with my 6" refractor tonight. Rhea is tucked in very close to the planet so is challenging to spot.

Edit: my proportions are all wrong - T & D are much closer to Saturn than Ti is.

I couldn't see Enceladus either with a 4" refractor. Found Rhea difficult to see too, weird as it should be second brightest after Titan.

Rhea's proximity to Saturn makes it more difficult than usual tonight.

Just picked up Iapetus - thanks for the directions :icon_eek:

Enceladus usually takes a 10" from my back yard so I'm unsurprised that my 6 has not revealed it.

Managed Dione, Tethys and Rhea plus Titan and Iapetus. I think Enceladus is too close in to see but will have another go in a while.

Can't see Cassini division, anyone getting it?

Stu

Can't see Cassini division, anyone getting it?

Stu

I started to get glimpses of the division once Saturn was well above the surrounding houses, around 1:00 am. Only glimpses though. It's still a tough target IMHO.

It is strange. I was mainly viewing over houses as I have to from my garden. The seeing wasn't brilliant but definitely sharpened up later on. I get quite alot of glare off the planet, tried a few filters to see if that would help.

I collimated the scope which definitely improved things and Rhea was quite clearly visible close to the planet as a lovely pin point of light. As for Cassini, no real sign, maybe a hint but probably more like wishful thinking.

Am going to Newlands Corner for an event this Saturday so hopefully will get a chance from a dark site with steadier seeing, weather permitting of course.

Stu

Archived