Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Very bright meteor in Ursa Major

At approx 20.50 BST there was a very bright meteor/fireball almost directly overhead - seen from Alioth (Epsilon Ursae Majoris) to Polaris. Pure white and around mag -2 to-4 (about the same a a bright Venus would appear). Seen for around 1-1.5 seconds. It quite took me by surprise!!

OH MY GOD IT WAS FANTASTIC WOW !!!!!

I am so glad I didn't dream it because no one else was around :icon_eek::rolleyes:

I have seen hundreds of meteors but this one really took my breath away, I am still buzzing about it can you tell!!!

I phoned my dad up saying it was brighter than jupiter, venus, iss etc. and he could nearly not believe me, thanks for proving me right :D :D

I saw it too from my backgarden. Tonight was the first night I took out my first, new scope (had it since saturday) and I was fumbling around with something then it caught my eye.

Not with the scope, mind you (first time out, took me almost ten minutes to get the moon properly in view ;-) )but it was amazing to see. And now I read the confirmation here, so it wasn't in my mind haha.

I HAVE JUST SEEN ANOTHER ONE ! ! !

Right streaming across the beehive cluster guys, get out there and look around if you can!!!!

It wasn't quite as good as the 1st but this one was still waaay brighter than they normally are. Could this be some kind of event?

That is interesting for you to mention that Sam, I will check it out.

Does anyone know of anywhere, perhaps a website, where I could check to see if anyone else saw this event?

I feel like it should have been on the BBC news!

Adz - These things are rather more common than you may think! I strongly suspect that it would have been a random event, most really bright single meteors are.

Thanks Bizibilder, I think I just got a bit carried away with the sheer awe of it all :rolleyes::hello2::D

It still goes on paper as the brightest point of light I have seen in the night sky!

Archived