Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 from Kielder Spring....

MG1

This is definately an improvement on my first M51, but still needs more processing I think. I was also a little stingy with the darks and flats, but now I've seem what a difference they make I will be doing quite a bit more in the future.

This had:

6x900s lights @ ISO400

2xDarks, 6 Flats & 6 Dark Flats

Does anyone know if I can simply add darks shot for 300s @ISO800 if I also add in the bias frames?....just a though:icon_scratch:

The second frame is one of my very first DSO shots...M51 at Autumn Kielder 2009. It's nice to look back now and again and see how far you've come.

As ever, please feel free to make any suggestions as to how this can be improved....I'm hoping the noise in the background will come out with more darks...

Thanks for looking

Michael

post-17582-133877557713_thumb.jpg

post-17582-133877557722_thumb.jpg

Thanks Gary, as we have such terrible skies in Bristol (and we live in a first floor flat!), Kielder and SGL are the only real chance we have to image. I'm booked up for autumn, so it may be a long wait....!

Although I've lots to learn about processing now....someone mentioned level masks?!? Oh boy!

Great shot.. A slightly different take on the colouring? Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers, I'll check that out, maybe I switched the blue and green channels by mistake as I was bringing it in from fits liberator?

Will maybe have another pop at the weekend.

:p

wow...not at all jealous....I really wish we could have had the last weekends weather...you're in for a real treat if it stays clear.

Looking forward to some nice pics :)

Our visit to the observatory was completely clouded out,which was hugely disappointing.We did however get to see the scopes,and had a very interesting talk from Gary the director of the museum.

Saturday night was clear,and got some good views of Saturn when it got above the trees at the caravan site.Didn`t see much else as the moon was nearly full.

That's a pity....mind you, you've seen more of the obs than I have. I must make the effort to get up there in the Autumn. We're going to play the percentages and head up for the whole week I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived