NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Trying to pick a digital camera mount for my scope.

benjy85pb

Good day stargazers.

Right recently I've been getting into afocal photography more and before you say anything yes I know, its not exactly the best method for getting images of the night sky, but I'm on a limited budget at the moment!

But anyway, I've looking at getting a mount to attach my little digital camera to the scope so that I don't have to hold the thing up to the eye piece which can be somewhat tedious and annoying! Anyway, I've scouted out a few stores and I've seen a few that seem to fit the bill, however I'd like the opinions of those who have used them of what they think of them:

Astro Engineering PH047 Ultra Afocal Digital Camera Support

ScopeTeknix ScopeTeknix Universal Digital Camera Adaptor ST98

ScopeTeknix ScopeTeknix DigiPix lightweight digital camera adaptor

Adaptors - Baader Microstage Clickstop digital camera adapter

Adaptors - Skywatcher Universal Camera Adapter

think i would go for the st98, the second one down, im thinking about getting one of these as most of my imaging is afocal, and if you take a bit of time setting up you can get decent lunar images, im using a home made adaptor at present (see diy astronomers)

I have an equivalent of the ST98 (many dealers have advertised this under different part numbers - and note that the last one in the list is the same).

This has worked fairly well for me.

Downsides:

1) It really is intended for compact digital cameras - it doesn't fit my new DSLR. I had to buy a 'flash-bar' to get it to fit.

2) High power eyepieces don't have enough area to grip very well.

Regards,

Harry.

Archived