Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Should Quaoar/Sedna be classed as planets?

AndyMac

Should Quaoar/Sedna be classed as planets?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should Quaoar/Sedna be classed as planets?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

This is an old debate, given the length of time ago that these objects were discovered - but I'm running out of ideas for polls! :)

By planets, I mean planets (and not 'planetoids').

Feel free to post any viewpoints but of course remember that this is just for fun. :)

BTW a link to the discovery of Sedna to help refresh memories: http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/solarsystem/planet_like_body.html

Well I'm a big 'no' fan on this one. Although the sizes have yet to be accurately determined, we have enough data, in my opinion, to say that both objects are too small to be classed as planets.

Planetoids or kuiper belt objects, yes - planets, no.

I think I'm right in saying that there is no actual definition in place by the IAU for determining the minimum size for a planet (though I think that one exists for the maximum size of around 13 Jupiter masses).

Anyway, 'no' from me.

Ballistic? Me?! Why would you think that? Maybe because of the Pluto thing? If discovered today, Pluto would be classified as a TNO, but it wasn't, it's a planet today so get over it. :) Sedna and Quaoar are the second and third best examples of TNO's known so far. Asteroids are another animal all together.

Cheers.

What's a TNO? Going to regret asking that I think. (TiNy Object?) :)

Personally it would really [removed word] me off to have Pluto down graded, and I have to agree with Astroman if it were discovered now it wouldn't be a planet. Plus I met Clide Thombagh (sorry not sure of the spelling) so I can actually say that I've met a planet discoverer.

Sedna and Quaoar should be classed as TNO's as I'm guessing that its something that's "smaller than a planet but bigger than other stuff".

Ant

Funny enough i was reading about the subject on a website the other day so yeah i did kinda look it up in a way..

Personally i am quite bad with termanolgy's i think being dyslexic doest help or should that be yelp?:)

James :oops:

• 7 years later...

Trans-Neptunian Object

James

Thats a mouthful, I just call em trannies. Speaking of trannie objects, how far is hale bopp about now in AU? That was a wicked comet and the only one I ever seen. I remember it being about as big as the full moon! (Including its tail)

Archived