Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

heq5 pro current draw when tracking?

Hello would anyone know how many amps an heq5 pro would draw when only in tracking mode, just trying to figure out my total amp draw with dew heaters etc so i can figure out how long my battery is going to last? its probably got about 6kg on the mount with guider/camera etc on it.

I can't answer for sure, but as i have the same scope and mount as you, i could try to measure it again. But last time i measured it it was taking about 12-15W, that's with a DC adapter with roughly 85% efficiency. So i'd guess around 10-13W while tracking, so with a bit of extra stuff on it, maybe around 12-15W in your case?.

But i could try to measure it more correctly at a later time with a more precise measurement equipment though, unless someone else gives a more exact answer.

Edit:

Slewing around 1.6A, tracking guiding about 0.9A

Well, this leads to 10,9W at 12V tracking, guess my first measurement was accurate enough then... :)

Remember a larger battery will last much longer. Not mainly as in longer sessions, but for many more years. every time you empty a battery completly, even the best deep cycle gel batteries, have a noticable capacity loss. For normal batteries i recommend to never drain it below 50% capacity, and for deep cycle gel batteries, never below ~25% to keep the capacity up and good for many years to come. Also always recharge them after use. if a battery is left uncharged for an extended period of time, it also result in a noticable capacity loss.

just a tip to keep your powerbank up and running for a few extra years... :)

I've been using a series of 20Ah gel cell batteries and an electronic charger for over five years now. Not one battery failure and they are still going strong!

You can use one for the scope (I use a car transformer - Maplin 12V to 15V for the NEQ6pro) another for the dew shield etc

Much easier to handle. Recommended.

Ok where did you get the 20ah batt? my maplin 17ah power tank doesnt seem to last too long when i use the inverter to power my laptop, iv now got a 12v supply cable for the laptop instead, im assuming i should get alot longer out of it now? When i use the inverter it also runs a cooling fan which must draw alot of power too?

I use the 12V to 18V car computer transformer to power the Acer/ Dell laptops...invertors are too inefficient!!

Look for golf buggy/ mobility cart batteries - they are 20Ah and designed to do the job.

Archived