Help for Essential Extras for an Explorer 200P

Hi all, I'm about to receive my first scope, a Skywatcher Explorer 200PDS with the HEQ5PRO GOTO mount which I know is all a bit of overkill for a first-timer and for somebody who knows virtually nothing about astronomy.

What I'd like to know is what extras you would consider essential ie eyepieces or filters, powerpacks etc...

The kit comes with one ep, a 28mm LET (2"/50.8mm), but I'm sure I'll need others for narrower/wider FOV and magnification. Any particular recommendations for sizes and makes or models for my setup . Is 2" better or 1 1/4".

To start of with I would just want to browse the night skies generally, planets stars and nebulae and see as much as possible with the greatest detail and as my interest builds then maybe get into astrophotography, I do a bit of dslr photography as a pastime so probably integrate the two in the future once I've worked out the telescope and the mount and all its features.

Reading the forum posts on here its difficult to work out exactly what I could do with, being there's so many various types of telescope its hard to say what would be best with what I have, differing focal lengths, apertures and so on.

Any advice and help in the right direction would be gratefully received

Jon

Hi Jon - Nice one

I would have loved that set uo, just have the 200P & EQ5

For the eye peices, the connection tube will only take 1.25" eyepeices (as far as I know).

A nice planetary eye peice would be good (especially as Saturn is nicely around in the evenings at the mo).

PS - welcome

Congrats on your setup. It sounds great.

Essentials? If it really comes with a 2" 28mm eyepiece only then you definitely need something for high power. The supplied ep will give you a wide field of view but only a magnification of 36x and all of us who were recently beginners know that what we all want first is getting close to the moon and the planets.

2" or 1.25"? 2" will 'generally' be of long focal length (low magnification and wide field of view) so if you look for a high power ep then probably look for 1,25". Another option could be a set of eyepieces like the Revelation one - I write this with no firsthand experience of this set naturally! :)

And perhaps a good book so you know what to look for and where to look - and learn some of the constellations if you don't know them already.

Then get some experience with the scope. After wards it's much easier to judge what you need - filters, collimations tools etc etc.

But to end where I started: If it only comes with the 28mm then I think you will quickly miss some more power.

Good choice of scope (looks down at .sig...) You'll probably want at least at least 2 more eyepieces and maybe a barlow to give you some extra magnification choices - e.g. if I use my 15mm EP in a 2x barlow it is equivalent to a 7.5mm, so don't buy a 15 and a 7 and then buy a barlow :) Moon filter! that moon is very bright through a scope so a filter to make it more comfortable is an essential buy imho.

Don't be afraid to ask questions B)

thanks guys that's useful to know, so the 28mm is my wide angle viewer, and if i get a 15 , a 4.3 and a Barlow 2x, should have some of my bases covered for closeup viewing.

I've already ordered Turn Left at Orion so will have a good read through when that arrives, but i have a couple of apps on my 3g ipad which has the accelerometer built in, its great you only need to hold up the ipad and all the constellations planets etc.. in view appear and move as you pan around.

I can also search for objects, (anything in the sky at all) the app has an arrow indicating where it is and zeros in as you move it.

Thats how ive worked out Sirius, the winter triangle, Orion and even saw a bit of the m42 through my bins the other week, which is what prompted me in to this full scale lunge into astronomy even though ive never used a telescope before in my life except on a pier somewhere.

Anyone have a link to setting up my heq5pro as i understand there's a few angles and dangles that have to be adjusted so it all slews and tracks . Or any easy to follow step by step instructions.

What about a battery power supply for the motor, or is it OK to use the dc-adapter outside, wont be on the grass, dry decking hopefully.

Thanks

Jon

Anyone have a link to setting up my heq5pro as i understand there's a few angles and dangles that have to be adjusted so it all slews and tracks . Or any easy to follow step by step instructions.

Have a look at this guys videos and I'm sure you'll pick up something useful.

Two things seem daunting when you get your first EQ reflector, collimation and polar alignment. Mel (astro Baby on here) has written some great guides, here is the polar alignment one Astro Babys HEQ5 Polar Alignment and you can find more under help and advice Astro-Baby Telescope Help

There are loads of other helpful guides and advice on here, have a look via the search command at the top of this page, if you can't find what you need, ask!

Ideally you need to mount the scope on a solid surface, patio or grass is better then decking as this will transmit vibrations as you move around the scope.

Essentials... hard to say whats essential, but here are some suggestions. Some additional eyepieces which you seem to of already covered. A Power supply of some description, 12v @ 2 amp centre positive if running from a mains adapter or invest in a power pack like those from Maplin for around £30 - £50. Webcam is cool - £35 from Morgan Computers for a Phillips flashed SPC880 with filter and adapter. Filters, Moon and Light Pollution (if you are in a built up area), Baader film (£18) to cover the small aperture in the cover so you can solar image / view. A T ring adapter if you have a SLR or Digital SLR camera.

Forget the 4.3mm it will not do anything for you. The 2" 28mm you have is ok, you will need another 3 EPs maybe a 35mm ,20mm and 15mm with a barlow that will give you

additional 17mm, 10 and 7.5mm. I have the same set up and the 10mm with a barlow is stretchin the max power of the scope.

DO NOT use 240/12v adaptor, I did i it nearly blow the motores.

Get down to maplin and get a Power Pack from there. avoid the |Skywatcher powerpacks...they are ****

it will also be useful to get a Chesire Collimater......dead easy to use.

Thanks again for the recommendations, i did a bit of shopping the guy at Rother Optics was very helpful.

So ended up with a couple of ep Antares upl 15 and 10mm, polarised moon filter, laser collimator and a few bits an bobs.

Just got to get a power pack now,

Halfords | Halfords Power Pack 200 with Compressor

should do the trick I hope and Halfords are OK for exchanges and warranty. Anyone use this one for a HEQ5PRO GOTO mount?

Archived