Moving scope

Hi guys

As my sig says I have a SW Explorer 200 on a EQ5 now as you probably know they weigh a tonne, are there any problems with removing the scope from the mount each time I call it a night and pack up? Or will this lead to any problems.

Mark

It's the only way to do it I think - I'd not like to carry the scope plus mount plus counterweights in one piece any further than a couple of feet !.

I keep all my scope optical tubes separate from the mounts - apart from the 4" refractor which is easy enough to move on the Skywatcher AZ-4 mount as a single unit.

Hi there WolfyTom,

I disassemble my rig partially by removing the refractor tube from the mount. The OTA goes into a case, and the mount (semi-permanently on a dolly) rolls back into the garage where it is covered with a snug, vinyl cover to keep dust off.

When I'm traveling to an outreach or lab event - the whole rig breaks down into: Tripod, electronics pier, saddle, EQ head, CW shaft, two CW (10 kg each), dovetail with rings, OTA, and of course, eyepiece cases and observing chair.

About 150 kg of gear all told. No way I'm doing that "fully assembled" Too heavy, too awkward, too dangerous!

Dan

You need to hire a husband !!

Mine is far too heavy for me, he carry's it in & out of the garden - I never leave it out.

The one day I had to do it, I removed the OTA to move.

Archived