Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn - where am I going wrong?

This is an image I tool last night with a Celestron neximage and C8 XLT scope. Seeing not fantastic but through the eyepice as sharp as a pin! Yet when i use the camera I struggle badly to get the same quality of image. When I tried a barlow the image was worse.

Really appreciate any advice with focussing in particular as well as AmCap, I just don't seem to be able to get the sttings right.

All advice very welcome!

post-17512-133877554292_thumb.jpg

The eye is far more forgiving than the camera.

Try focussing on a nearby star (easier to achieve focus than with an extended object like Saturn) using a simple Y-mask (relatively simple using the preview screen), and once you have achieved perfect focus, slew back to Saturn and take your avi.

HTH

It looks ok to me. the eye is actually very slow, so to have the same result from a pic as you can see with your eyes, you'll haver to stack several pics to have an averge pic similar to what the eye can see.

if that's a single frame, it looks very good, but focuse might be a tiiiny bit off i think?

But i recommend to record as a movie instead. About 1 min shuold be enough. then stack using registax, or my favorite, avistack.

It looks ok to me. the eye is actually very slow, so to have the same result from a pic as you can see with your eyes, you'll haver to stack several pics to have an averge pic similar to what the eye can see.

if that's a single frame, it looks very good, but focuse might be a tiiiny bit off i think?

But i recommend to record as a movie instead. About 1 min shuold be enough. then stack using registax, or my favorite, avistack.

This image is the result of a minite's worth of video from the neximage... I really need to sort out focussing as just can't get it on the laptop screen...

I see. If that's the result of a stacked image, then you're just out of focuse i think.

an Y mask is easy to make yourself, however, i like the bahtinov mask better for the scope, but is harder to make yourself. Not sure what works best for your cam though, as i've noticed i may need a bit long exposure to see the focusing lines when using a bahtinov mask.

Archived