Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advise needed please

Ok, anyone up for another dumb question?:D

Last night I finally got the hand held remote to work again after downloading new updates for it. +1. We had very clear skies about 3am this morning so I took the scope out for a bit. Now when I aim towards the sky and start slewing, I get NOTHING. The LP by me isn't bad. One street light approx 80ft away and another 100ft away and that's about it. During the day I can look through the lens and see everything that I focus on. Is this just another typical rookie mistake? What needs to be done?

I have the iOptron Twinstar GPS goto telescope 1400/150

Thanks,

Mike

Mark,

Exactly. When I look through the EP there is nothing but total blackness. The EP that is stationed on top of the scope seems ok. I know it's not a mirror issue because I can see through the side EP during the day with no problem

Mike

firstly have you aligned the finder scope with the main scope? i do this in the daytime on a distant object such as a chimney or top of a telegraph pole.

and secondly if you've already done that the next thing i'd suggest you try is wait till the moons out and try the scope on that, its easy enough to eye the scope up on it if the finders out, then once you have the moon in the center of your FOV check your finder again and hopefully you'll be pretty much aligned.

and one more thing to think about is focus.... it's very easy to go past focus so when your turning the Knob do it slowly and aslong as somethings in your fov you should be able to get the right focus.

hope this helps, i had the same trouble the first time i took my cheap nad nasty argos scope out, turns out i should of aligned the finder and been patient with the focus knob.

i know exactly how you feel i felt the same.

but i'd hold out a little longer, like i said wait till you get a chance at the moon, get the moon in your FOV and try it out on that.

being as you've already aligned the scope and finder i'd probably say it was down to focus. on my celestron argos job i got for xmas its so easy to miss focus you really wouldn't belive you could go past focus so easily.

so move the focus knob very, very, very, very slowly. and hopefully that should give you some views.

and if thats not the problem then i'm not in a position to help as i'm a newcomer myself but there are plenty of people on here who'll help you out.

Get behind the scope and physically line it up with a very bright star by looking down the tube. The moon isnt around at earthly hours at the mo but that would be the best target for this. Using your lowest power eyepiece (highest number in mm) see if anything is there by focusing in and out.

And yes, make sure your lens caps are off!

Matt

Hi

It is possible you are looking at nothing! You don't mention what eye peices/magnification/setup you are using. Use the widest (longest focal length) you have without a Barlow or any type of extension and point it at an area where you can see stars. Then as suggested earlier very gently move the focuser in/out. If this doesn't work gently move the scope about a bit, if there are stars you should see them flash by.

Datman

Maybe just a little more patience is what i need. And ummmmm, I like to tell people i only have 1 brain cell in my head but yes, all lens covers were off lol. I tried with both a 10mm and 25mm. Maybe i'm just expecting too much too soon

Do try it at the Pole star. This one does not move which helps...You should aim to see the star and focus until you get it to a dot...

Then put in the 10mm and see if you can make out the fainter star nearby as the Pole star is a double.

Have patience..

Where do you live I am sure someone could pop around and help..

Mark

Hi Wolfspride,

Try this focus trick -

during the day, focus on the farthest target you can make out - preferably several miles away. Get that in focus with your 25mm - then leave the focuser alone!

Without touching the focus, take the scope out and point at the center of Orion in the south. The southern sweep of sky from Canis Major on your left to Taurus and the Pleiades on the right is so rich with stars, clusters and nebulae - you won't be able to find "nothing" even if that was your one true goal in life. With the scope focused on a distant target in daylight, you should be VERY close to perfect focus. (A telescope doesn't see much difference between a kilometer and infinity!) You can adjust the focus when we see some stars, but only VERY SLOWLY!!! You should do fine.

The local club is also a good source. I'm too far away or I'd drop over myself. I know that with a good mate at your elbow, you can solve this in about two minutes. Good luck - and No Quitting! :D

Now that you have your homework, you best get to it then! :)

Dan

Archived