NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Instructions for EQ3-2 dual motor drives

JamesF

I've downloaded the instructions for the EQ3-2 motor drives (like these: Dual-Axis Motor Drive for EQ3-2 - (with Multi-Speed Handset) by OVL) from the skywatcher website and decided I don't understand them. Can anyone explain how to use the control unit?

It has a N/off/S switch, which I do understand, then another labelled 8x/4x/2x and four buttons for RA left and right, and DEC up and down.

It's not at all clear to me how to get the RA motor to track at normal speed. It also looks like the LED between the RA and DEC buttons can be red or green and possibly yellow too, but what do those colours mean?

Is there a better explanation of how the unit works other than the single sheet Skywatcher page?

James

Thanks to everyone for their contributions. I should write it all down and summarise it somewhere I can refer to it until I've got the hang of things. I did try it out last night but it looks like there may have been a problem with the connections for the DEC axis as it didn't respond at all in those directions. I shall play with it some more in daylight.

James

It takes a few seconds for the gearing to kick in so you have to hold the buttons for quite a while before you see any movement. Also even at 8x speed it is sloooooowwwww. Better to push the mount around dob style until you get in the right area then use the motors for fine control.

James - If the motors aren't very different to EQ5.

Then check where the connector plugs in & alo tighten the cogs on the end.

Found mine weren't done up properly, so the motor was running (you should be able to hear it).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me highjacking this discussion.

I have the same EQ3-2 RA/Dec dual drive motors and last night I found that I had broken the drive fitting that connects the RA motor to turn/track the mount.

Does anyone know where I can get spares for these RA/Dec Motors?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Jim

Archived