Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focus aid for Mak/SCT's...?

Being very new to the planetary imaging world through a "cat", can I ask if there's a trick to bringing them to fine focus?

The reason I ask is that I have a "Morgan's special" SPC880 (+ filter, flashed to SPC900) but on my first night out with my Mak 180 I was totally unable to focus it anywhere near enough on Saturn, let alone consider attaching a barlow (which is my ultimate aim).

Admittedly, the seeing through the scope wasn't good either visually or on the screen, but then again I was trying to shoot across a rooftop... :hello2:

Is there an easy way to focus? I have a bahtinov mask that I use with my MN190 for DSLR imaging... could I reuse that?

AIUI Bahtinov mask designs are slightly different depending on the scope aperture, but making something that should work for you is allegedly far easier than cutting loads of slots into a sheet of card or plastic. If you search for "Bahtinov mask" you should find a recent thread that covers the whole issue.

James

Cheers all...

I'd heard of the clothes peg trick, and even without looking I can work out how "the peanut butter lid" works (very ingenious!) both of which I can imagine will provide a much better (finer) way of adjusting the focuser, but what I'm really after is a way of being able to confirm exactly when I've achieved the best focus possible through the webcam...

I've had a quick flick around for Bahtinov masks and found a website that you can input FL, aperture and "frame" (here) - It does look pretty similar to the MN190 mask, although the "gaps" are a little bit wider. I'll try out the one I have and see if that works and, if not, I reckon I can probably make that one (even with my clumsy fingers!)

Being very new to the planetary imaging world through a "cat", can I ask if there's a trick to bringing them to fine focus?

The reason I ask is that I have a "Morgan's special" SPC880 (+ filter, flashed to SPC900) but on my first night out with my Mak 180 I was totally unable to focus it anywhere near enough on Saturn, let alone consider attaching a barlow (which is my ultimate aim).

Admittedly, the seeing through the scope wasn't good either visually or on the screen, but then again I was trying to shoot across a rooftop... :hello2:

Is there an easy way to focus? I have a bahtinov mask that I use with my MN190 for DSLR imaging... could I reuse that?

Hi Andy

I'm a long way behind you on the kit inventory and only have the 180's smaller sibling, but I've hit the same wall in terms of getting anything like a crisp webcam image with or without a barlow. I cooked up a Bahtinov mask based on a template for a C6 - fits the end of the 150 OK and creates the desired pattern/effect. I'll have a crack with it next time and let you know how I get on.

I'm also going to give the "peanut butter lid" a go. This all sounds a lot cheaper than adapters and Crayfords/Borgs (it may yet come to that though...:hello2:)

Archived