filters

Hi All,

I have been looking at coloured filters and was wondering is there a list of what colour to use with which planet/object and how or who made the list and how do they know that a particular filter is correct or is it just personal preference.

Also What are a decent general purpose solar filter and are the filters that go on the eyepiece better that the bigger ones that go on the from of the OTA better, or again is is personal preference?

Thanks,

Kev.

light pollution filter certainly helps depending on your skies.

all the coloured filters have there uses,red is very good when imaging the moon in black and white.

i have just bought a oiii filter not used it yet,but it comes highly recommended as long as your aperture is big enough as it cuts out a lot of light.

when you think of the price of your scope the filters are fairly cheap

NEVER use a solar filter on the eyepiece. this can at best ruin your scope and at worst ruin your eyes. other than that I'll leave it to others to advise as I have never done any solar observing.

I don't like colour filters and have tried lots but many do like them.

In fact I am not a big fan of filters generally but can comment on the three I do have as follows:

• Baader Neodymium - really good when the moon is quite full as it reduces the glare. Other than that I prefer the moon unfiltered. It's not bad on Jupiter too - not tried on Saturn and Mars yet but supposed to be good especially on the latter. Also a very effective light pollution filter if you have the right light pollution!
  • Castell Oiii - this is really good at bring out the appropriate targets and some are almost invisible without it even at a dark site
  • Castell UHC - also excellent and more suited to more targets / smaller apertures. Similar comments and some targets better with this, some with the Oiii.

All filters do is allow certain bands of light through, they are not magic bullets, possibly with the exception of the last two above.

My own experience is that they make enough difference to justify the cost. They don't produce jet black skies that transform your ability to pick out any deep sky object you desire (...sadly not). I would say that it helps quite a bit if you don't have the option of observing from a very dark site. It's like everything else with astronomy kit, there are differences between the manufacturers and you will pay more for a little extra and so the ultimate decision is a matter of personal choice.

James

(I would say that a nebula filter does make a difference when you observe from a dark site)

I agree with James but another way to get a darker sky is to up the magnification a bit. I have recently decided to buy a 26mm eyepiece to replace my 35mm eyepiece as the sky is really washed out and grey with the 35mm.

Archived