NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M1 Crab Nebula

Darth Takahashi

Well I finally made it back to my telescope and had my first clean night. Orion and Taurus are now setting fast in the West so I thought I'd try and grab the crab before it disapears for this year.

Here is about 1 hour at F11 (TOA130F with ExtQ)

Haven't had enough time yet to do any LRGB, so this is only H Alpha at the moment.

post-15658-133877548832_thumb.jpg

Well this turned out to be a real challenge.

Altogether now there is about 4-1/2hours data with the colour and lums making up the lions share of 3-1/2 hours (LRGB) etc... As you can see I had already made a good start with H Alpha.

One of the nights my dessicant gave out and ruined the majority of the nights work. but the biggest struggle was with the weather and position of the crab.

I feel like I've become an expert on antmospheric extinction! Once the crab starts its decent its useless to try to continue imaging, especially at F11. It almost feels like a waste of time gathering the BLUE and GREEN channels..!

Anyway I hope you like the image, see you all soon at SGL6:hello2:

post-15658-133877551813_thumb.jpg

Hiya Neil!

Loads of detail in there but the other colour channels are not coming through like you have said.

I've been messing about with it whilst sat at work and I can't get any other colours coming through either no matter what I try! Though I think I have managed to bring a bit more of the detail to the front...

Looking forward to SGL6 now mate...should be a blast clear skies or not!

I'll have a proper go at it when I get home tonight :D I have no data of my own :p so I'm having to make do with other peoples...

post-17960-133877552181_thumb.jpg

Hiya Neil!

Loads of detail in there but the other colour channels are not coming through like you have said.

I've been messing about with it whilst sat at work and I can't get any other colours coming through either no matter what I try! Though I think I have managed to bring a bit more of the detail to the front...

Looking forward to SGL6 now mate...should be a blast clear skies or not!

I'll have a proper go at it when I get home tonight :p I have no data of my own ;) so I'm having to make do with other peoples...

Stars look saturated and bloated now :D, but I have noticed the magenta colour cast myself. If you want the data just send me a PM and I'll send it to you. :(

Stars look saturated and bloated now :D, but I have noticed the magenta colour cast myself. If you want the data just send me a PM and I'll send it to you. :p

LOL...I'm the king of saturated and bloated!!!! I'll email you and then you can send me the raw rbg hand ha files if you want? It'll give me something to do....is there a prize???????

I do agree with Rob, about it being wonderful data for one hour at such a long focal ratio.

I think that you ought to try some Digital Development SW on it, and then work on the local contrast.

Cheers,

Harel

I do agree with Rob, about it being wonderful data for one hour at such a long focal ratio.

I think that you ought to try some Digital Development SW on it, and then work on the local contrast.

Cheers,

Harel

Harel,

Are there any good tutorials on DDP, I've tried it once or twice in MaxIm but the results always look over stretched to me.

Archived