NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

skywatcher mak 127 advive

Please help..I need some advice on deciding which telescope to buy.My budget is around 300stg.Ive had my eye on the skywatcher mak 127 auto track....

I have read a few reviews on the 127 but im still not sure if its right for me..I am prity much a beginner, but I do own a terrible, budget refractor..My main aim is good views of the moon and planets for now....Once i,ve done my time with that I will start hunting the deep sky.

Is there such a thing as a good alrounder for 300stg?

Would the 127 be a good scope for keeps?

Thanks OTH........Yea,the 8" dob was my choice at first,but a traking dob is out of my price range for now!....The ease of use with the traking skywatcher 127 changed my mind...A dob with traking would be great though!...Using the cheep refractor that I already own has totaly put me off manual traking...

You will only need tracking on a Dob if you want to photograph the Moon & Planets. Otherwise it's pretty easy tracking stuff with a Dob.

If a Dob was your first choice, I'd say go for it, no need for tracking.

Have a look at this: http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/132996-skywatcher-skyliner-200p-8-dob.html

I think the fact that using an auto trak ,if I get distracted for a minute or two for some reason,when I return to the scope I won,t have to search for the object again...

Maybe this isn,t as big an issue as I think it is?

Also,Is Collimation more of an issue with the dob than the 127?

I think your plan of a 127 now, maybe a big dob later is sound - and I don't think you would be disappointed with the 127. It is extremely good on planetary & less diffuse dsos.

Collimation being required on a Mak is rare - but don't let collimation alone put you off newts - it really isn't too difficult. But it is true that most newts (dob or otherwise) will require a lot more of it.

Enjoy whatever your choice is :)

Thanks for the help...Im almost there!...Im not into astrophotography as yet ,so thats not a factor at all..I think if I can get good views of the moon,planets,and some of the brighter DSOs I will go for the 127...

In a few years time ,if I have both the 127 and 8"Dob I will be prety much well set up for most of what the heavens have to offer??

Thanks for the help...Im almost there!...Im not into astrophotography as yet ,so thats not a factor at all..I think if I can get good views of the moon,planets,and some of the brighter DSOs I will go for the 127...

In a few years time ,if I have both the 127 and 8"Dob I will be prety much well set up for most of what the heavens have to offer??

Sounds like a good plan!

I also have the 127, it's my first scope, and so far I've had some reall good views with it, it took me a week or so to get used to the scope and mount, but i'm very much in the same boat as you, and my next scope may be a dob, but for now the 127 is easy enough for me, but do save some cash (£40) and get a TMB or BST 8mm eyepeice, it made my scope so much better.

Just to clarify on the eps - you should get a 10mm, 25mm and barlow when you buy the scope. The 25 is pretty good, and certainly doesn't need replacing straight away. The 10 is poor, so the suggestion of a TMB or BST 8 is excellent. The barlow is useable, but you would see a spectacular improvement with a replacement - say, a TAL.

Being a "slow" scope, the 127 is very tolerant of reasonably priced eps, which will produce much better results than they would on a "faster" scope.

You will only need tracking on a Dob if you want to photograph the Moon & Planets. Otherwise it's pretty easy tracking stuff with a Dob.

If a Dob was your first choice, I'd say go for it, no need for tracking.

Have a look at this: http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/132996-skywatcher-skyliner-200p-8-dob.html

Excellent informative review on the Dob OTH:.....Infact its maybe too good...Almost had my mind made up on the skymak 127...Now its a toss of a coin!....Aperture vs ease of use..:)

One other thing thats bugging me about my choice is the focal ratio/field of view aspect.......

What would be the difference be say when looking at the moon with an F/5 scope compared to an F/12 ?

Archived