crayford?

In line with my recent policy of not making any large astro investments for a while, I want a crayford focusser immediately! I'm not sure if there's any major differences between different makes, so I want some advice on the things. Before you start suggesting moonlights, I don't want to spend any more than £100.

Cheers.

Andrew

Hold your horses Andrew.

I am debating on whether to replace the R&P focuser on my 10" with a spare crayford I have. It will mean either drilling new holes, or finding a way to mate it to the existing base plate.

The other option is to attach my leccy focuser to the R&P.

I am playing tonight, so I will let you know over the weekend. You can have first refusal - and it will be marginally less then £100 :D

:D Not sure I want to put holes in my tube, but then, I want to my mount my Gallileo finder as well. The sticky pad thing just doesn't do it!! Couple of little nuts and bolts will be order of the day!

In line with my recent policy of not making any large astro investments for a while, I want a crayford focusser immediately! I'm not sure if there's any major differences between different makes, so I want some advice on the things. Before you start suggesting moonlights, I don't want to spend any more than £100.

Cheers.

Andrew

You could just buy Daz's Revelation 8 OTA - nice optics and nice crayford, then sell your Skywatcher OTA - hey presto crayford for virtually £0 :blob8::p:D

Only problem is cash flow I guess ..... oh and shipping costs .....

Oh well, just an idea ... :p

John

No John, I think you're mistaken. The Revelations come with the single speed (or at least mine did) The dual speed Crayford does look very nice though, but saying that, the single speed is also excellent and very smooth in use. Andy, I would fancy this personally if my scope came with a rack and pinion focusser and I felt the need to change it.

No John, I think you're mistaken. The Revelations come with the single speed (or at least mine did)...

Yes, thats what I said - the focusser in Andrews link is the dual-speed version of crayford that comes with the Revelation dob as standard (which is a single speed). Sorry if my wording caused confusion :?

I agree that the single speed version is very nice to use.

As to whether it's a good way of spending £78 - depends on how tolerant you are of the standard Synta focusser - I found that they could be made to work OK if you strip them down, remove the Synta glue-type lubricant and re-lube with a quality lubricant.

John

Archived