whats this for

morning all i recently bought the revelation ap lens kit from flo

Eyepiece Sets - Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepiece kit

now inside i have something called a 32mm camera project. now ive been doing a little research and cannot find nothing and with the clouds have yet to try it on the scope.

can someone please explain what this is for ?. i know its something to do with ap but not quite sure what.

thx star

Hi star.

It can be used as a normal eyepiece or if you have a DSLR camera you can buy a t ring and screw the camera to the top to do eyepiece projection astro photography. It's a very good eyepiece in it's self, I have roughly the same kit and they are good eyepieces.

Hope this helps.

Marc.

Indeed. I use that eyepiece a lot when I'm star hopping and then step up the magnification when (I think) I've found what I'm looking for. It's quite possibly my most-used eyepiece when I'm viewing DSOs.

James

I looked at the photo - the black aluminum cylinder with threads and no optical glass in it is a "T-thread camera adaptor".

You can buy a "T-ring" with a bayonet fitting that matches your DSLR (Cannon, Pentax, etc all use a different lens fitting). This allows you to use your telescope as a lens for your camera for terrestrial or astronomical use. Common T-rings usually sell for about $20 in the USA, DSLR cameras are much more! :o

Hope that helps....

Dan

hi i have a t ring (i think ) in the lens kit does everyone that uses a dlsr for ap use one of these?(camera project not t ring).i thought you just attacked the camera straight into the ep. with the adaptor

star

For most astrophotography, people use no eyepiece - they just use the correct T-Ring for their camera, and attach that directly to the telescope either using the screw threads on the focuser or - if the telescope has no threads - that little adaptor tube in the kit. Alternatively - as you've discovered - you can attach the camera + whatever T-Ring it needs - to the 32mm Project Eyepiece using the screw threads revealed when you unscrew it's eyeguard assembly.

Either way, it's a great 32mm eyepiece in it's own right, and I love being able to adjust the eye relief by sliding the barrel up or down.

• 11 months later...

Afternoon folk,

I realise this is an older thread but no point in starting another.

I have just found one of these eyepieces and attached it to my t ring which is attached to my Nikon D5000 and I'll then just pop the eyepiece in later on.

The camera keeps telling me there is not a lens attached and no matter how much fiddling with the buttons, it keeps coming up with this message.

Any help with what I'm supposed to turn the camera button to? I now nothing about telescopes, well a wee bit and even less about our camera, I just keep it on auto and press the button!

Sorry again for a basic question but I really want to get a photo of the moon so I can show my other half when he comes back, I say show him, I mean tell him I've beaten him to it!

Thanks again, Anna xx

Afternoon folk,

I realise this is an older thread but no point in starting another.

I have just found one of these eyepieces and attached it to my t ring which is attached to my Nikon D5000 and I'll then just pop the eyepiece in later on.

The camera keeps telling me there is not a lens attached and no matter how much fiddling with the buttons, it keeps coming up with this message.

Any help with what I'm supposed to turn the camera button to? I now nothing about telescopes, well a wee bit and even less about our camera, I just keep it on auto and press the button!

Sorry again for a basic question but I really want to get a photo of the moon so I can show my other half when he comes back, I say show him, I mean tell him I've beaten him to it!

Thanks again, Anna xx

I'm not familiar with the Nikon D5000, but I have a D3000 and I'll assume they work the same way. Set the mode function dial to M, for manual. This will give you control of exposure times and so on, and it won't complain if there is no lens attached (all this means is that the T-ring doesn't have the same electronic gubbins that a lens does for auto-focus and so on). You'd do well to learn about ISO settings - the lower the ISO rating, the longer an exposure takes, but the higher it is, while it shortens exposure time, the more 'noise' (unwanted data) gets in to your shot.

Again assuming the D5000 has similar functionality to the D3000, you can get an infra-red remote control shutter release for it, for just a few quid (less than £3 if I recall) off Ebay. This neat bit of kit vastly reduces vibration when taking a photo.

Hi there,

many thanks for the reply. I've been through the camera bag and found a Hama remote control thing?

It plugs into the camera and a wee box hangs down. There are 4 slidey things numbered 1-4 on the box and there is a remote control key fob thing with a button, 4 slidey things, same as above, and an aerial.

I presume this is what you mean. I've looked through all the paperwork and can't find out what the 4 slidey things are. It is the same as this:

http://www.hawksphotovideo.co.uk/lg_images/Hama_CAto1_Wireless_Camera_Remote_Control_Release_5364_103565_0.jpg

I'll get on learning about ISO's now! Thanks again, much appreciated, Anna xx

Archived