NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Connecting scope and camera to PC

swag72

Following on from a thread posted about the ease of using Stellarium with the HEQ5, I have decided to give it a go, as well as controlling my camera through the PC.

I don't want to try EQMOD yet, so I am looking at doing the following.

1) Guiding through PHD - QHY5 guidecam connected via ST4 to the mount and to the PC via USB. Already doing this step.

2) Camera connected to PC via USB and controlled using EOS utility and liveview through EOS as well.

3) Handset connected to mount (as usual) then connected to the PC via the serial cable and a USB adapter.

I am sure there are simpler methods out there, but at the moment, this has cost me the price of an R232 / USB adapter. I want to see whether I like all this PC automation.

Have I got all this right?

Yes except the Guiding, but I only say that as i have not tried it via the ST4 port myself so i dont know.

PS.

EQmod is worth every penny the EQDir costs, its awesome. check the turotials on youtube.

Sara,

That sounds 100% to me!

I use Carte du Ciel instead of Stellarium. I find it a bit more "friendly" as a star mapping program rather than the "visual planetarium" view you get with Stellarium.

Just my 0.02Euro

BTW I use the Keyspan serial>usb adaptors -work 100% with all my software and hardware.

Archived