NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alnitak region - first view of Horsehead

old_eyes

Alnitak region - 12 x 300 sec subs at ISO 400 unmodded Canon 1000D on an Equinox 80ED. Taken 7th Feb.

Stacked in DSS, processed in PixInsight and tweaked in PS.

Just made up to actually capture the Horsehead nebula on my first serious try, and very pleased with the Flame nebula :o.

It has probably been stretched too far, and I may have another go with this data.

old_eyes

post-17595-133877545185_thumb.jpg

Another exellent image! I think it may just need a little more data to get rid of the background noise (but I may be wrong!).

No I think you are right. It was pretty hard to pull out the lovely red trail and the horsehead from the data. I think this is about as far as I can go with this data. I plan (when time allows) to reprocess from the start and see if I can do a bit better. I just used the dynamic background extraction from PixInsight to get rid of the sky-glow and left it at that, then stretched it in PS and used the high-pass filter trick to get some of the detail. I am sure better can be done, but the data is limited.

But hey - I still imaged the Hosehead Nebula from my drive! How cool is that?!

old_eyes

Hi,

Yes, it is all there and no mistake. Very good colour, just maybe a tiny bit green in the dark background? But I feel that sometimes with PI so it may be my monitor. The Flame is a perfect colour.

The thing is that you have everything there except more subs and that is all you are missing. Your capture and processing routines are all working really well.

Broad smile in place, I hope!!

Olly

that really is a lovely image...well done. did you use a light pollution filter?

No light pollution filter. I used PixInsight's tools to deal with the sky-glow. Specifically the Dynamic Background Extraction.

If I stretch the image before correction to try and see the Horsehead it looks like this :)

old_eyes

post-17595-133877547433_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Yes, it is all there and no mistake. Very good colour, just maybe a tiny bit green in the dark background? But I feel that sometimes with PI so it may be my monitor. The Flame is a perfect colour.

The thing is that you have everything there except more subs and that is all you are missing. Your capture and processing routines are all working really well.

Broad smile in place, I hope!!

Olly

Now that I look at it Olly, it does seem a bit green. Probably trying to empahsise the red emission with weak data. Need more subs - sigh - rubbish weather and Orion sinking lower every night :).

old_eyes

Archived