Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick Flats question

I've just started shooting flats (and associated darks) and was hoping someone could tell me which of the following three sets I should use for processing. I wasn't clear what sort of exposure level I should be aiming for, but figured someone on here would know.

Much thanks :(

post-17582-133877544567_thumb.jpg

post-17582-133877544573_thumb.jpg

post-17582-133877544579_thumb.jpg

Not sure exactly, I rely on the histogram to tell me if my flat is right. Is this with the 5d ? If so, set the camera in Av mode, make sure exposure comp is at 0, that should give you the right level, you're looking at between the halfway and 3/4 bars on the histogram, more towards the 3/4 mark.

These are the histrograms...none of them really get near 3/4, flat 3 is the closest (it's the top one in this histogram list), but makes me think I need to use a much slower shutter speed.

Cheers

post-17582-133877544585_thumb.jpg

So something more like these two...I'm thinking the bottom one (1/20 shutter speed)

btw, the first three were blue because they were shot through the CLS filter as were the associated light frames. That's okay isn't it?

Thanks again

post-17582-13387754459_thumb.jpg

Actually i'd use the slightly faster of those two 1/20 I think it was, the histogram peak looks better positioned. The cls blue is not a problem, just ignore it. I think flats are used in greyscale mode only anyway.

the first three were blue because they were shot through the CLS filter as were the associated light frames. That's okay isn't it?

As I understand it (which isn't a great deal) it is not only okay, but ESSENTIAL that if your lights are shot through a filter, the flats are shot through that same filter as well.

Hi demon....that's what I assumed. It is after all being used to correct the complete optical train.

Thanks for the help guys, you confirmed what I thought but it's just good to talk it through as it's all new to me still.

I'm glad I shot a few different sets of flats and dark flats. It does take that long to do and I can now delete the ones I don't need.

Another little bit of knowledge in the bag then....all building up slowly!

Cheers

Hi Billy,

Yes its an earlsmann panel....I'm glad you spotted those as I thought I was going mad....and that there may be as yet undiagnosed banding issues with the 5D!

I was going to re-build my light box over the next week or so and thought about including a sheet of translucent perspex in front of the panel. Do you think this will work? Currently the panel just sits directly over the end of the OTA.

Archived