Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade refractor advice

Hello!

I'm new into astro photo and are now on the path to invest in some equipment suitable for this.

Got a fair deal from one distributor here regarding one EQ6 SynScan mount and a Meade 5000 series 127mm triplet.

Anyone that got any experiences with this refractor?

Thanks,

Mattias

If you can get hold of a copy S@N did a review of this scope and the SW 120mm triplet, a while back, if I remember correctly the 120 came out on top, the views through the 127 were described as a little soft, the EQ6 is a good base coupled with an 80mm APO, a combination often used for imaging, I am sure there will be someone along before long who use refractors for imaging to advise you further :(

John.

I think something to watch for is the size of the focuser - I have a suspicion that the Meade units narrow down to 1-1/4" which will cause vignetting on a APS-C sensor. Not a problem for webcam imaging - but that's a waste!

I have the Meade 127mm apo, it's a beautifully made piece of kit though I can't comment really on it's optical performance as I only got it a week ago and haven't really used it yet.

The focuser ends in a 2" port.. dunno if it is narrower anywhere else up the line, but I certainly have a 2" diagonal on there at the mo. The smaller ones may use 1 1/4".

I bought it second hand because it was a great price and fitted my needs... Dunno if it would have been my first choice if I was buying an apo of that size new. No complaints yet though!

Ben

Thanks!

According to the distributor, this Meade is exactly the same as the Explore Scientific triplet APO. Apparently Meade sold it to them. And it's a shop demo ex so a good specimen.

Haven't decided what camera to use yet. I think I will keep the camera budget low for a while, but thinking of buying a used Canon 40D or something like that, and IR-convert the chip. Combined with a filter wheel maybe?

Have a chat with robbieince (a fellow SGL member) who has produced some amazing results with that scope. He's probably busy playing with his new astrograph, but I'm sure if you drop him a PM he'll get back to you.

Nice bit of kit and exceptional VFM.

I had one before upgrading to a TEC140. I described it in an AN piece and liked it.

It will just give good stars, but not perfect ones, to the edge of an APS. It performs very well on DSOs, almost to the level of the TEC, but it is out of its depth on hot blue stars which do bloat and need a fair bit of attention in Ps.

The refractor market is now red hot and the 127 is an older design and the price has hiked a long way. I have taken a couple of pictures with the Altair Astro 115mm triplet, with inbuilt flattener. I believe this to optically and machanically well ahead of the 127 and the spec is generous, with super finder included. It also has camera rotators. This is the first light image:

Nebulae and clusters. - ollypenrice's Photos

And from the Meade (my processing has improved since then!!)

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Galaxies/891DDP/617889397_GiVw8-X2.jpg

At that sort of focal length you might also want to look at the SW MN190. It is big and needs collimating but it is fast, has a big flat field and formidable track record. In the field a refractor is always the easiest, though.

Olly

I have been thinking about the SW 190MN too, actually. But as you say, it's heavy and bulky as long I have to move it in and out of the alartment and to and from the car etc. At the same time it's probably a very good scope for imaging...

Had some ideas of buying a refractor now, and later on build or buy a simple newton that I could mount together with the 127mm onto the EQ6. I realize that there in some points not only one scope for all different situations after all.

Archived