Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

patrick moore journals

Nillchill

having enjoyed the sky at night the last couple of evenings, especially the short snippet of the, looking through his journals

Made me wonder just how wonderful it would be if they were to publish them, I think it would out sell most astronomy book series

What do you all think?

I agree, this would be a wonderful idea, and I for one would be seriously interested in obtaining copies. It would be a shame for them to be disposed of into some archive and unavailable.

I've just e-mailed Paul Abel who did the piece on SPMs journals on the 700th episode. Paul has very quickly replied and he too thinks that publishing Sir Patrick's Journals is an excellent idea. He has been trying to convince Sir Patrick, though at the moment has no plans to do so. I guess we can all hope that he changes his mind. I would think that they would be a fascinating insight into amateur astronomy over the greater part of the last century, as well as a valuable resource in their own right.

thank you very much for doing that Gweedo, its wonderful feedback.

Maybe we could use this thread to display the level of interest in the publication of those journals, I wish we had a way we could show Sir Patrick how much his contribution to astronomy is valued. Even the bits were he admits his mistakes, just if not more valuable for people to see.

I have had the great fortune to look at these - and they are indeed wonderful!

They are segragated into objects - so he has journals for the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn and so on... Shelves and shelves of his notes covering his 80 odd years of observing.

They are amazing reading......

I know it sounds morbid, but I do hope we don't have to wait until dear Sir Patrick passes away before they get published. Like most of the panel on the 700th episode it was watching Patric and James Burke covering the Apollo missions that inspired me to become interested in astronomy. I echo the comments above, not only would these journals be interesting factually, but they also cover history as well.

Maybe through Gweedo, we can lobby him into releasing them into press

Archived