Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First astro pic by stan...

stan26

The M42......for a change!

This is my first attempt at astro photography. I'm using a skywatcher startravel 102, mounted on an EQ3-2 with dual motors.

Camera is canon 500d, prime focus using barlow lens (with glass removed) as an extension tube and a T adapter.

Roughly Polar aligned using polar scope.

This is 1 x 30sec exposure at ISO3200!! with a 5 x 10sec at ISO800, and a couple of darks thrown in aswell. The shorter subs/darks where stacked in DSS (also first time using) and then layered in GIMP (also first time using) and a bit of stretching?. As you can probably see I haven't a clue what I'm doing! But I am enjoying it.

This really is just a test to get used to the setup/DSS/GIMP/Histo watcha ma call it gram things etc etc.

I guess those purple blobby stars are the result of CA? I hope a filter will reduce this.........

stan

m42 iso3200.TIF

Thanks guys, I'm really chuffed, to think that I took that with my own limited ability and equipment! I guess all imagers get the same wow "first time" feeling when they acually capture such an object.

BTW, how do I get the image to show in my post, as appossed to having to download a link, do I need a hosting site..?

Thanks

Stan.

An excellent first image - plenty of detail in M42. A shame about the purple halos but sadly that's a limitation of the Startravel - My Startravel is still in use though making an excellent guide scope.

You've said it yourself - as long as you're enjoying it, then it's worth the effort.

Regards

John

Archived