Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first view of Saturn that never was....

Scotty27

I looked outside to see the cloud had cleared so quickly got set up with one mission - to view Saturn.

I thought I had it too until I paired my 2x Barlow with the 10mm lens and saw nothing more than a yellow prism - I now believe it was actually Arcturus :)

I can't actually see Saturn in the sky like I could this one, the cloud has now come over so I have set up at the bottom of the big dipper with hope of spotting the Whirpool Galaxy before bed - here's hoping....!

I caught a quick glimps of it (Saturn) at 23:15 through the clouds so quickly spun my scope round on the mount and I actually managed to get it in view - I started off with the super K25mm then dropped down to the super K10mm then added the 2x barlow, each time the excitment building as to what detail would be unveiled.

I was extremly pleased with what greated me, I could make out the colour, the rings, the gaps in the rings - I knocked on the window to get my wife outside for a look as she told me "not to disturb her unless there is something worth seeing" she couldn't believe it!!

I am very happy now, can't wait for tomorrow night and some more viewing.

Night all. :)

I was going to say - I made the same mistake! Wondering where Saturns rings had got to, but with a 200mm scope, even faint stars look bright in it (they do to me), but you'll never forget that first view. Wonderful planet - I can stare at it for hours!

Kh3ldar - it was a bit too cloudy to chance waiting up that late last night but next time I definately will.

Neilius - I notice you have additional EPs, do they make much of a difference when viewing the planets through the 200P?

Seeing Saturn for the very first time through a telescope!

Was the start for me taking up Astronomy in the first place:)

I've alway's look at Saturn countless times before, I never get bored of it, This alway's gives me the feeling back when I first experince of the Night Sky!

When I ever get a chance to demonstrate to other people who don't know about Astronomy, I was show Saturn to them as first point to look at.

Just watch their faces drop with amazement!!!!:)

same thing happened to me woke up at about 4:30 one morning no clouds took all the gear down stairs (i live in flats no garden) set up and a star. so im still waiting to see the ringed beauty

Saturn's special to me and my scope. I had a hassle getting it, built the thing with cloudy skies outside but by the time dusk came it had cleared and there it was. Pointed my mount roughly north, pointed the finder at it, eye to eyepiece and bang!

Awe struck.

Archived