How to balance telescope on heq5 mount??

Hello, i am trying to balance my skywatcher telescope on my heq5 mount.

I just cant seem to be able to do it. Ive tried looking for videos on youtube but nothing there.

Any help and advice would be great.

Thank you

You don't say what the exact problem is but try this:

Take the tube (with its rings and dovetail) off the mount and, holding it carefully (!) find its balance point. Mark with a felt tip etc! Put the scope back on the mount with your mark central between the clamp bolts.

Set the mount with the Dec axis (the one with the weights on) horizontal and tighten the axis lock.

Undo the other lock and you can then put the scope tube horizontal as well. Lock that axis.

Undo the RA axis again and either the scope or the weights will be heavy and will fall under gravity!

If the scope is heavy then move the weights further out towards the end of the weight bar.

If the weights are heavy then move them towards the scope - If you have two weights you may need to remove one of them!

(You have achieved perfect balance when you can position the scope in any position WITH THE LOCKS UNDONE and it will stay where you put it!)

Hope this helps.

Hi, sorry its a skywatcher250xp F=1200mm D=254mm.

It has got 2 ring round the centre, are these the rings that you are talking about?

I am a complete beginner so i have not got a clue how to do anything here.

Thank you

The problem is that when i release the RA and DEC locks the telescope just wants to fall to the ground and will hit the mount. Obviously i know that i need to be able to release these locks and the telescope just balances where i want it to, just seems really hard for me to figure out lol.?

I have to weights on this rod, but i still cant manage to find the balance. I know its probably so easy to do, i just cant get my head round it.

I have had the scope a few months and the instructions have gone missing, so its been a case of me trying to work it out myself. Its so frustrating.

Start with the weights as far out on the bar as you can - this will mean you are "weight heavy" and you won't have your expensive scope trying to dive earthwards!!

I have a 200P on an HEQ5 and it balances with the weights about 2/3 of the way towards the end of the weight bar. Your scope is the slightly heavier 250P so it is just possible that you will need an extra weight - I'm not sure on this as 250P's are shown in brochures mounted on HEQ5's with just the two weights on the bar.

Yes i think this is maybe what i might have to do, because i have got both weights at the bottom of the rod and the telescope still wants to fall down.

Is it because the telescope needs to be moved up or down? Or is it just a case of adding another weight?

For a 250px you need 3 counterweights. This is why your struggling. My 250px Has 3 weghts and they are 3/4 the way down the bar (EQ6 mount I believe the bar is longer for these). There's no way you can balance with just two

Good luck :)

Archived