Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Inexpensive auto-guiding options? Off-Axis?

AlexxxAA

Hi everyone,

I'm in the middle of getting my first astrophotography rig. I have a CG-5 mount, C8 and a WO 80ED APO.

I've been told that mounting the APO ontop of the C8 is already pushing the limit of what the mount can handle. So adding my canon and an autoguider is probably leaning towards ruining my mount...

So I was thinking about just getting an off-axis adapter and getting something like a Nexguider or Orion Starshoot guider...

Any ideas or suggestions???

I use Celestron Radial Guider - quite cheap OAG, that is modded by for example Baader or TS :) OAGs get very effective on longer focal lengths, but you have to keep the OAG camera in focus when the primary is in focus. It needs some preparations but it does work.

Off axis guiding can work very well but its a bit fiddly to set up.

Do you want image with the C8?

if you don't want to use the ED80 as a guide scope a cheaper (and lighter) ST80 may be the way to go.

Thanks guys!!! Im still debating with myself about what to end up getting...

I want to photograph with both telescopes... Im wondering about that ST80 for both telescopes. Maybe in can attach it to which ever optical tube im going to be using that night...

What do you guys think??? Can i also attach an ST80 to my ZS80???

If thats the case, i might just end up getting the ST80 with a Nexguider... That should give me a good amount of guidestars to choose from even with heavily light polluted skies...

But if it is going to be too much trouble, then i might get the OAG...

I really wish i could mount my ED80 on my C8 and switch the guider between them, but i cant afford a heavier duty mount :'(

Good news :)

I spoke to a local dealer and they told me that i can mount both my scopes on the CG5 side by side with a Vixen accessory plate. Im pretty sure im gonna go with that, and ill just switch the auto guider between optical tubes :p

Now is the dilema of which guider to choose?!?!?!?

Ive been recommended the LVI Smartguider 2 ???

I've tried a number of the things that you are interested in. I first mounted an ST80 directly onto a C8 SCT by means of a bar fitted to the mounting holes on the C8. I then had a second bar holding the mounting rings of the ST80. I was able to put a tilt stage between the to to give some limited adjustment, but if you used the mounting rings with adjustment screws you wouldn't need this. I used a Lodestar guide camera with an extension tube to get focus.

I then moved on to an OAG used with a Canon 1000d. This was a more compact arrangement. I upgraded from the ST80 to a Meade 5000 ED80 and I could move the OAG setup between the scopes, with a change of focal reducer. Finally, I'm using a CCD camera with an OAG on the same scopes.

post-16060-133877541182_thumb.jpg

post-16060-133877541187_thumb.jpg

post-16060-133877541195_thumb.jpg

Hi guys!

I got my equipment purchased! :)

I got a meade OAG and an LVI 2.

I wanted to try them out tonight, but we had random freak hurricane winds in the area and ruined the opportunity for some work tonight :)

Thanks for all the help guys!!! :p

I finally got to try out the smartguider 2 lay night... But I couldn't get it to recognize any stars :(

I guess it couldn't focus...

Anyone have any suggestions????

Do I need to get extensions for the guide cam?

How do I check or figure out where it is in focus?

I just got an LVI2 and it picked up a guide star within 30 sec. The LVI2 then self adjusts the exposure for a couple of minutes, then you press enter a couple of times and it starts guiding your mount.

I got lost in the whole thread...are you using an off axis guider? I got the ST80 (fairly light) and used mounts from ADM.

link to their site ADM Accessories

They have all kinds of rail systems and adapters, keep things tidy and very high quality. If you are using a guide scope you may have to adjust its aim (very slightly) to a star near to what you are photographing. Like I believe someone said before, with an off axis guider you must have a star pretty much dead center of your scope because the LVI field of view is the like a 6mm eyepice. There is one that came with your LVI 2. If you can't see a star through that eyepiece...The LVI won't find one. The LVI 2 eyepice also has a ring on it which makes it so when you look through their eyepiece and focus it, you then put in the LVI 2 camera and it will be in focus.

You could set up with a ST80 or other guide scope with ADM's guide scope kit. This would allow you to put the guidescope on which ever Big scope you want to photograph with, aim both scopes at the same point, and if needed move the guide scope to a nearby star for your LVI 2. You could put a rail on each of your big scopes and swap the guide scope back and forth. I hope this helps out. reply or PM me if I can help you further.

Mo

I used to use the moon or Jupiter. The best thing I can tell you to get is a Bahtinov Focus Masks. Costs about $20 and gives you perfect focus in seconds. It's best to line your scopes up during the day so they're pretty close, but you need a distant object to line them up.

Hi guys! Thanks for all the help and advise :(

Much appreciated.

Here is what my basic setup looks like. It cost me an arm and a leg to get it all together, but here it is.

I tried it out last night and was having trouble getting a guide star. I adjusted the 80ED somewhat to incorporate a bright star in the field and it finally caught one when i got [removed word] off and i pointed towards Mizar lol :o

But it kept losing the star. And when it finally kept it on, it failed to calibrate my CG5. So after 2 hours i gave up for the night.

-Does extreme light pollution contribute to losing a guide star???

-Possibly tonight im going to try again and make sure that a decent guide star is centered on the 6mm eyepeice.

-One more question: (sorry im such a noob :)) If i switch object, is the smartguider going to have to recalibrate?

Thanks for all your time guys.

post-24989-133877546434_thumb.jpg

I finally got my connector cable and I could not get my LVI to communicate with my LX90. I sent LVI a email. One thing he suggested is that you need to connect your LVI after you have powered up your mount. I also asked if my mount needs to be tracking before I connect the LVI to the mount. Your telescope must be correctly aligned and be able to keep the track star on the LVI's camera chip for 10 min or so. It finds a star, sets exposure then runs through 6 motor calibrations. During the calibrations the LVI moves the mount slightly so it knows what's up/down/left/right. After it calibrates you press enter to start tracking. After calibrating you CAN NOT move the cameras orientation in the guide scope or you have to start over. You should not even hold the LVI hand controlled in your hand while it's calibrating. I hope to get some more suggestions from LVI. I guess it'll be tomorrow before I hear from them again (big time difference). I hope my issues were caused by a improper power up sequence.

I don't seem to have any trouble finding a star, like you said it's just keeping it in view. It's a shame there is no way to test it other than on a clear night. Guess thats just a fact of life in A.P.

Thank you Merlin66 I will definitely check that out. Guys I asked Paolo at LVI about the correct order to power everything up. This is what he sent to me. He has been great to answer my questions

Hello,

The Smartguider MUST plug into the AUX port AFTER the Autostar is correctly tracking celestial objects!

And the camera must be powered on when plugging into to the Autostar.

If you plug the camera when the Autostar motors are still stopped, this will cause a failure!

So, I think your problem is with power up sequence which must be the following:

Power on the Autostar

Power on the Smartguider 2

Make the Autostar tracking celestial objects

Point your scope to the target

Plug the Smartguider into the Autostar AUX port

Run the camera

Let me know how this direction will work there.

The guiding scope model doesn't matter at all.

Thanks.

--

Paolo e Marusca Lazzarotti

I hope for some clear nights and look forward to trying that program to test my system.

Mo

Archived