SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sun 27 Feb in H-alpha

sheri_barri

A bit delayed image processing this week. Here are a few results from a nice late winter imaging session. AR1165, 1164 and 1163 clearly visible with some fascinating swirling features within AR1164. A few small proms and a distinct filamentary structure to complete the scene.

Thank you for looking.

Sheri

post-15561-133877540409_thumb.jpg

post-15561-13387754042_thumb.jpg

post-15561-133877540432_thumb.jpg

These H-alpha images always look absolutely amazing... Don't get me wrong, a good white light photo (with sunspot, preferably) can be very pleasing (and I'm dabbling at the moment), but the H-alpha photos just take it to a whole other level!

I completely agree Rob. The features visible at 656nm are spectacular. White light sunspots are very good too but show a different 'layer' of the solar surface features. Being able to compare the two and then in CaK really is remarkable, especially that amateurs are now able to access equipment to do this from the garden!

Hi Rob,

CaK is the abbreviation of Calcium-K line which is located at 363nm so quite far into the violet. If we filter the sun using this wavelenth, we are able to look at the surface features between the photosphere of white light and the chromosphere features which are strong in the h-alpha 656.3nm wavelength.

Hope this helps.

Sheri

Holy smoke, that's some stunning shots of the sun! Fantastic detail, you really make good use of the Ha-filtred light! Oh dear, now I want a solarscope too, since my summernights are too bright for deepsky photography. Where will this end... :o

Are you using barlows for the closeup shots

Thanks for posting!

Jonas

Hi Jonas,

Cheers for the kind comments. When I moved north to 57° it was the long hours of daylight that prompted serious investment of time and equipment to make the most of what was visible... Definitely worth it! The few months over the winter where the sun is not high enough over the neighbours trees has been perfect for catching up on night sky viewing.

I'm using a Coronado Cemax 2x barlow with the lens screwed directly onto the camera nosepiece. Seems to be the best combination so far to minimise the banding appearance of Newtons rings.

Kind regards,

Sheri

Archived