Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter, what should I be seeing?

V-nec

I've just had my first attempt at viewing Jupiter. I'm already hampered by houses right in front of me to the west which only give me about 30 mins before it sets behind them but I was wondering how much detail should I be able to get and what I could do to improve it.

Scope-

Bresser Lyra 70mm refractor

Front Lens Ø (Clear Aperture) 70mm

Focal Length, Focal Ratio 900mm

Standard Eyepiece(s) K-4 / K-9 / K-25mm (31,7mm)

and a 3x barlow (plastic, looks very cheap and am assuming it's not ideal)

I tried the 25mm and 9mm with and without the barlow and couldn't get anything in the way of detail really? Would a filter help? Better eyepiece? Better barlow?

Sorry for the multitude of questions but any help appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi mike.

I had a quick look at Jupiter this evening at about the same time as you. I was also using a 70mm scope. It was quite low down to the west and the sun was not long gone so the sky was still quite bright. I couldnt make out any detail what so ever. All i saw was a white disc. I tried various EP's and a 2X barlow and yellow filter etc and still was unable to drag any detail out.

I'm afraid thats probably as good as it gets for me anyway from here at this time of year because Jupiter is well past its best.

Hi Mike,

I saw Jupiter for the first time tonight in my Skywatcher 130P - I was pleased to see that it was a reasonable size through the scope but like you I couldn't make out any detail other than it's orange colour, we'll have to wait for that. I am aiming for Saturn tonight, it's higher in the sky so hopefully some detail might be there, if only the rings!

Have fun!

Dave

Thanks guys, I hadn't even considered that but it was the only thing bright enough to see in the sky so I should have thought of that haha

Oh well, had my 1st Saturn viewing at the weekend and I've left the scope outside ready for another go later. Not a bad consolation prize! :)

Just checked Stellarium. Saturn is up but still low to the East. I cant see it yet. By the looks of it it will be way down south and not very high up at all by the time it is at its max altitude. My view south is very LP'd................i think i'm gonna struggle with Saturn.

So it looks like the major planets are off the menu for me this year.

Wonder what i might spend my time on instead. Spotting galaxies is always fun. Might concentrate on those.

just had a look think the houses are blocking my view the joys or a small cul de sac!

Similiar situation here. I found Saturn fairly easily though. Wait until you can see Arcturus in the East (brightest thing out that way) then to the right of that there'll be 2 other bright 'stars' the top one will be Saturn.

I have 20-25 ft tall evergreen trees at the end of my garden that block my eastern view. I can only observe eastwards anything above about 30 degrees.

This summer my trees are getting a makeover. I am gonna have them cut down to about 15 ft tall.

Just low enough to allow me to have a full view above rooftops behind but still award me privacy so those living behind me cant look into my property from upstairs.

Archived