Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube GOTO

Hi

I want to know whats the different between my current telescope

SkyQuest XT 8" Classic dob and Skywatcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube

Also whats the different between AUTO and GOTO, I know GOTO is a computer controlled. That points at stuff but what is AUTO?

I am considering selling my dob and ethos eyepiece for a GOTO as my wife is having difficulty in finding stuff but we decided it's probably be best to sell our scope and eyepiece to raise funds for a GOTO maybe an AUTO scope. It would deffo help us.

I have ordered SPC880NC LX and AMP off Mod with cooling, I think a GOTO/AUTO would help to benefit us in taking pictures/videos.

Any advices please? Looking to free up funds from dob and ethos 13mm eyepiece and spend about £1000.

Might consider Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX FlexTube GOTO as well.. from FLO.

is the 200 and 250 also 8" too? or more?

Goto finds objects for you.

Auto - you have to find the object, then the Auto tracks that object.

Have a look at this:*http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/128557-skyliner-250-flextube-auto-goto-how.html

HTH

Ed

I have just read it, Doesn't sounds like it's easy to upgrade from AUTO to GOTO.

Do you think I would be better of getting a GOTO mount to put my dob on it?

There is a link in the post that you have been pointed to. (Post number 16) It's from Telescope Shop an eBay trader in Germany. Gets very good feedback.

As an alternative to Skywatcher SynScan GoTo Upgrade für Autotracking Dobsons

which is a SkyScan with 13000 objects there is Skywatcher - Skywatcher AZ GOTO mount

which is the Synscan costing marginally more money but has 42000 object database. Many peaople on here have used the handset to upgrade the 200p-300p autos to full goto with complete success.

Just a word of caution. I would recommend checking out astro_baby's link http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/128173-look-size-thing.html before you get thinking about 300p's. I cam across a 250px dob at the right price but always wished for a 300p. But just trying to transport the 250px & kit can become laborious. I think if I had got the 300p there is a possibility when it came to it, it would not have got much use due to the effort involved with such a large scope. I think you have the right idea getting GOTO as under light polluted sky's it can become an utter chore to try and manually find things that may not even be visible given the conditions anyway. If you have goto you punch in what you want to see the scope gets you within a few degrees and if you can't make it out then you move on to the next object...simplz!! You can also have more time on the objects to tease out more detail when your not spending half the session trying to locate it.

If it was me. I would get a 2nd hand EQ6PRO ( will come up more often with the new EQ7/8 soon out) a couple of tube rings a dovetail bar and slap on your dob. An EQ6 for most of us would be a mount is for life and when you feel aperture hunger the mount will happily take an upgrade :)

SPACEBOY

Spaceboy is spot on with the size of these things, I bought off the net on specs and advice and never even thought about how big a 300p is, IT's MASSIVE!!

I can still set up on my own though, just about managing to lift tube and mount in one for a very short distance or split into two parts it's not too bad. I found the mount is worse to carry than the tube.

But it is BIG!! And the views through it absolutely blow me away.

As an alternative to Skywatcher SynScan GoTo Upgrade für Autotracking Dobsons

which is a SkyScan with 13000 objects there is Skywatcher - Skywatcher AZ GOTO mount

which is the Synscan costing marginally more money but has 42000 object database. Many peaople on here have used the handset to upgrade the 200p-300p autos to full goto with complete success.

I think, from reading other posts, this is what Brantuk did. He then put his AUTO controller on the ALT-AZ mount and sold that so the whole upgrade cost him about £60.

I think, from reading other posts, this is what Brantuk did. He then put his AUTO controller on the ALT-AZ mount and sold that so the whole upgrade cost him about £60.

Yes, it was Brantuk's advice that has pushed the decision to go ahead, though I will be keeping the spare mount and swapping the handset around as needs dictate, giving me a nice little goto mount for my Celestron refractor to take camping and the 300p goto for more serious viewing/short exposure photos.

Interesting to see how long an exposure the synscan will allow but I am not expecting much.

Archived