Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

cpc re-alignment problem

Hi folks,

I have a CPC 1100 which is fork mounted and uses the NexStar hand controller. This evening I used the Auto two star alignment method (using Aldebaran and Sirius as my alignment stars). Everything was OK for a while but, just to tighten the goto up a bit, I decided to re-align Aldebaran with itself. I centered it in the eyepiece and pushed the 'align' button. The handset asked me which star I wanted to re-align so I selected Aldebaran. My problem is the handset then told me to centre Sirius. This happened every time I tried to re-align the scope. Has anybody got any ideas as to why the handest kept 'defaulting' to Sirius even though I selected Aldebaran to be re-aligned?

Hope that all makes sense!:)

Thanks for your help.

John

Hi John, I would be tempted to start again, I have had the odd rare event similiar to this, I just thought it best to clear the system and try agian, only other thing it may be is power, have you got a decent supply? power issues always seem to lead to problems with slewing and aligning etc, just a thought hope it may help. :)

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply. I'll give your idea of starting again a try. The power supply is direct from the mains using an adapter that was recommended by the shop I bought the scope from, so I assume that's OK.

Thanks again,

John

Well I had the same problem tonight. As I was viewing mainly around Ursa Major I decided to use Polaris and Dubhe as my alignment stars using the Auto Two Star method. After everything was aligned and tracking I decided to re-align Polaris but when I selected it on the handset it told me to centre Dubhe in the finder scope. For some reason the handset always seems to default to the last star I aligned rather than the one I select.

A minor irritation but it would be nice to sort it. I wonder if updating the software in the handset would help. It may be worth a try.

Cheers,

John

The handbook says "which allows you to replace either of the original alignment stars with a new star " etc., and goes on to say that the handset will ask which of the original stars you wish to replace. Replace being the key word for me.

For what it's worth I follow this practice and it works for me.

RonJ

The Replace alignment stars option assumes that you want to replace the object you selected with the last object that you slewed to using the HC.

So if the last object you selected and slewed to was Sirius it will assume that's what you want to replace the selected alignment star with.

If you are not using the HC to slew it doesn't know so it could be taking your second alignment star - Sirius.

Chris

Archived