NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tripods left outside???

Hi, i was wondering if anyone leaves their tripods outside permanently/semi-permanently? I have a CG5-GT mount and carrying the tripod in and out of the house all the time is becoming a pain. I was wondering if the tripod is up to the weather and what anyone else does. Cheers

I leave my tripod and mount out under a heavy duty waterproof cover for short periods at a time if I know I am going to be using it regularly. I normally put a towel over it, then a plastic bag and then the cover securely fastened. It still works perfectly

I leave my tripod and mount out under a heavy duty waterproof cover for short periods at a time if I know I am going to be using it regularly. I normally put a towel over it, then a plastic bag and then the cover securely fastened. It still works perfectly

I'll do the same, espcially through spring and summer. We had a good spell of clear nights last April and May, the mount stayed out for a week at a time.

A large heavy garden waste bag?

I had one of those covering the whole mount (it blew off during the last windy period we had, it's been replaced by a tarp & bungie ropes) while a smaller 'hood' covered the mount itself. For this season (August to May) and the previous one, my EQ6 has stayed out permenently without any issues. The only problem is the triangle of ruined lawn where it stands!

Tony..

I wouldn't leave a CG-5 GT outside in the garden. There's some quite expensive electronics on that mount - I'd fear it getting pinched, or condensation getting into the electronics and wrecking them.

Imho it's worth the little extra effort to bring it in :)

Re reading the original post, it looks like richiebragg was actually only talking about leaving the tripod outside which surely should be ok under a cover? Provided is secure of course.

Stu

Archived