NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Problem guiding with PHD

I was all setup to start imaging the other night, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get PHD to start guiding.

PHD connected to my QHY5 OK, and I could see stars on the PHD display. But after selecting a guide star, the PHD guide button was still unavailable, so I couldn't start guiding. Has anyone come across this before? Could it be that the stars were too faint to allow guiding?

Hi Whippy, I was using ST4. I can't honestly say that I stopped the capture sequence before selecting a guide star, but I'm pretty sure I tried everything. Several times. Many times in fact :). Each time it failed I unloaded and restarted PHD from scratch and started the procedure again, from scratch. Same result every time.

Was PHD connected to the mount ? I know the camera was connected via ST4, and it seems like a totally daft question, but that's a requirement. It sounds like there was no issue with the camera itself, nor PHD capturing. I've never stopped the looping, before hitting the guide button, never been a problem.

Was PHD connected to the mount ? I know the camera was connected via ST4, and it seems like a totally daft question, but that's a requirement. It sounds like there was no issue with the camera itself, nor PHD capturing. I've never stopped the looping, before hitting the guide button, never been a problem.

No PHD wasn't connected separately to the mount. TBH, I didn't know that was a requirement with my guide camera. I've had guiding working before though, and PHD wasn't connected separately to the mount at that time.

/is confused now :)

In my experience PHD would not capture unless both the mount and camera were connected to PHD.

I have however with a previous download of PHD had the problem of PHD not wanting to start guiding/calibrating unless I hit the stop button before hitting the PHD button.

Give that a try in the first instance as I am sure this could be your problem.

Carole

Usinf my QHY5 and PHD I would ensure the following.

1) Ensure that 1 cable goes from the QHY5 to the mount and the other is connected via USB to the PC. I don't connect the camers to the PC until PHD is open as it sometimes doesn't recognise it. Select the camera (ccq guider) - Did you have the camera selected statement at the bottom left of the screen?

2) Set to capture to make sure you can see something!

3) Go to the brain icon and tick force calibration

4) Click the mouse over the star you want and then click on PHD icon.

I hope that may help, if I am teaching you to suck eggs then I do apologise. I have only recently started guiding with the same setup as you, so have to get it really simple in my head.

Of course, another issue could be the other settings in the brain icon. What scope are you using to guide? I use a 9x50 guiderscope and need the calibration steps set to 2200.

3)

In my experience PHD would not capture unless both the mount and camera were connected to PHD.

I have however with a previous download of PHD had the problem of PHD not wanting to start guiding/calibrating unless I hit the stop button before hitting the PHD button.

Give that a try in the first instance as I am sure this could be your problem.

Carole

Next time I think I'll be a bit more methodical about using PHD. I've just realised that it could well be a version (and user error) problem. I have a working PHD/APT environment on my wifes laptop which I have used successfully on previous occasions. But the last time I went out I used a new laptop I bought specifically for astro photography, and although the laptop was new, I may have installed from an old copy of PHD I had lying around on my desktop machine.... Ooops :(. So I guess it is possible that I was using a workflow that worked OK previously on an older version of the program.

Anyway, to that end, I have just removed and reinstalled (the latest version of) PHD etc on my new astro laptop. Now .... just to ensure all my settings are the same on both systems!

Thanks guys for all your help, much appreciated :)

John, Thats interesting as every time i forget to stop the capture i am not able to press phd and get the software to calibrate

Another problem I have been confused by in the past is that on launching phd two copies have appeared on the screen and more than once after minimising and re startoing the programme I have played with the inactive copy by mistake.

I still say making sure the capture loop has been stopped before hitting phd would be worth a try.

If phd is not connected to the mount you will get that message at the bottom

Dave

Not had that happen Dave. It has to be said the only reason I don't stop the looping and hit guide directly is because I never remember to stop the looping first :)

Probably as i use an earlier version that i have seen this problem.interesting.

Archived