Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Am I 'working' my camera correctly?

blinky

For a while now I have been wondering if I am operating my QHY8 'correctly' - I dont seem to be getting the same signal levels that I used to get from my modded DSLR. Now, this may well be due to a number of things - the QHY is 16bit so has more room for data, I am using my SCT which is slower than my ZS66 was (both with reducers). But..... Last night I was taking 5min subs of M81 at around F6 with the SCT. I am struggling to pull the galaxy out from the background, I am sure with the DSLR is was not buried this deep in the background but is that due to the 16bit data format or am I just imagining things!

I know this sounds like a rambling post but I am just wondering if maybe I should use some gain in the QHY8 driver - at the moment I only have an offset (around 115) and no gain - would a little gain make things better?

Here is a stack of 20X 5 min subs taken last night, straight out of DSS and resized/converted to 16bit in Photoshop.

I have no doubt that the QHY itself is OK, I bought it from a well respected imager on the forum, thats not in question, just my ability to use it:o Last week I was seriously considering getting a modded 100d:(

m81.tif

Probably you think your DSLR is more sensitive than it really is because you've been useing it with the ISO turned well up - you can get the same effect by a contrast stretch. The native detection efficiency of your QHY8 will be no worse than that of your DSLR and is likely to be significantly greater.

the bit depth has nothing to do with it, the question really is 'are you filling the charge wells?' and the answer seems to be - not quite. Longer exposures are the first thing to think about then the question why is there adequate blue in the corners and hardly any in the centre?

Here is a quick process.

Dennis

post-15519-133877537301_thumb.jpg

Had a go too. Seems to be some banding I didn't correct, and those strange colour streaks, but I think if you took the 32bit into PixInsight you'd be able to get a lot more out of it.

David

post-21430-133877537371_thumb.jpg

Archived