Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skytee 2 Alt-Az Mount on HEQ5 Pillar

johninderby

Skytee 2 Alt-Az Mount on HEQ5 Pillar

My SkyWatcher Skytee 2 Alt-Az mount arrived from FLO a couple of days ago, and I've fitted it to my SkyWatcher HEQ5 pillar. The Skytee 2 is a very substantial piece of kit and very well made. While I haven't yet had the chance to try it out at night, :rolleyes: daytime testing has shown it should be up to the job. While playing around with the mount before fitting t to the pillar movement seemed very stiff, but once set up with a couple of scopes the stiffness seemed just about right. I also ordered one of the EQ3/5 counterweights from FLO which actually comes as two different weights which will be useful. I don't think I'll be ordering the slo-mo extension knobs as the standard knobs seem well placed as they are.

While the pillar isn't strictly necessary from a stability point of view it means that you don't have those tripod legs getting in the way plus you can wheel the whole thing around, The Skytee 2 is quite heavy for an Alt-Az mount and when fitted to the pillar the whole assembly is very substantial but is no problem to carry it through a doorway and outside. The photo shows it set-up with my FLT98 and a SkyWatcher 150PL (with OO 1/12 PV mirror). As mentioned movement is very smooth and I found that the scopes stayed in position without the Alt axis slo-mo control being engaged from about 60 degrees up to about 85 degrees. The slo-mo knobs do work very well and are very smooth. One little niggle though. If you're using the EQ3/5 counter-weights they will hit the slo-mo knob if the weights are not right near the end of the shaft (when used as per the photo).

So I'm pleased with it so far and think that it's good value for money when compared to cheaper Alt-Az mounts when you consider it's capabilities.

John

John,

Great set up you got there,planetary/lunar and widefield views on hand with only a few steps to the side of each scope.:rolleyes:

What height would you say the combined unit of the pillar and skytee is.

Cheers

Jon

It's 46 inches to the upper dovetail saddle on the mount.

John

I've now settled on using the TS80 APO along with the 150PL

Skywatcher 150PL f/8 OTA with OO 1/12PV mirror for planetary / lunar

Telescope Service TS80/80 FPL-53 Triplet APO for widefield.

John

Wow! Those mounts are obviously bigger than I thought!

Might have to look at getting one, now.

(Walks away pondering another wallet bashing... :rolleyes:)

Archived