NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone changed their focuser on a SW Evostar 120ED Pro?

I have an issue when imaging that has probably been nailed down to a sagging focuser. I have a SW Evostar 120ED Pro scope with every thing as per standard. I am looking into whether to change the focuser, as all I ever do is seem to keep tightening the old own, otherwise it has a mind of it's own.

So, has anyone with this scope made the change?

Is it easy to do? Do you lose the finderscope bracket? I'm not sure where you unscrew from the OTA you see.

If there are people out there with this setup, I'd love to know what you upgraded it with.

Thanks for your help guys - You are an amazing bunch that's for sure.

I didn't replace mine myself but my 120 came with the William Optics upgrade focuser: Williams Optics - William Optics Crayford Focuser for Synta Refractors . It's not bad at all, definately an upgrade from the old single speed units (I have the older gold coloured tube) but yours is the newer black model with the dual speed focuser isn't it?

Referring back to your thread with what appears to be focuser 'sag', hold fire and see what people come up with, the last thing you want to do is spend money where it's not necessary, there's always money to spend elsewhere :).

Tony..

There are crayfords available from GSO, William Optics, Moonlite and Feathertouch to name but a few which can be attached to Synta OTA's using either a supplied flange or by simply uncrewing your current flange at the 3 screws 120 degrees apart at the bottom of the tube, pulling out the focuser and inserting the new one, pop the new screws in the same holes and your all done.

Which to get depends on your budget, the Feathertouch and Moonlite ones are truely excellent but pricey. The WO and GSO ones are cheaper.

You will need the internal diameter of your tube to ensure you get the correct flange with the new focuser.

Of course you could try fixing the focuser first, it should be ok if it's one of the newer dual speed ones.

Cheers

Thanks for looking folks - Here's the answer to the questions.

When I loosen the thumb screw I don't have any play or wobble in the tube at all. However I do have marks on the tube and have taken pics of these for some idea of what may perhaps be causing this?

Yes I already have the 2 speed Crayford on the scope and yes, I am using a flattener. I learnt that lesson a few weeks ago when I first started looking into nice round stars!!

post-18339-133877536928_thumb.jpg

post-18339-133877536942_thumb.jpg

post-18339-133877536957_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I changed the focuser on my skywatcher ED 80 for the Moonlite focuser. The fitting was simple. Undo the three screws holding the stock focuser to the tube, and slide it out the tube. Fitting the Moonlite was the reverse. Very simple job and the quality of the Moonlite is fantastic. I did have to order the FLO adapter so I could still use the matched skywatcher focal reducer with the new focuser - not a big deal but worth remembering if you decide to replace the focuser with any other 3rd party focuser.

Regards

David

Archived