NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gutted

Bellyeye

Although I live on quite a busy main road the rear of my property faces south and backs onto a nature reserve. As such I have to put up with a reasonably high treeline but apart from that the skies in that direction are as decent as you could ask for in such a suburban location.

However.

I came home from work today to find a new streetlight had been erected that casts light right across my observing position.

As you can imagine I'm not very happy. Don't know what, if anything, I can do. There was certainly no pre warning that this was going to take place. Gutted.

John

Cheers man. I'm suprised at how freaked out it's made me.

You know it's strange. All our lives were are forced into little boxes - but the one thing that the poor man has always shared with the millionaire is their view of the night sky.

I wonder if the Council will ever turn up unannounced and install a streetlamp outside of David Beckham's bedroom window. I doubt it.

Much as I dislike conspiracy thoeries it does seem as though the powers that be are quite happy to have us all stare at tv's/Facebook/our desks/lathes/supermarket shelves but....don't look up. There's nothing there but questions ideas and perspective. Maybe if we could all see beyond the sickly orange glow we may realise that the latest soft drink/detergent/after shave/face cream/soap opera isn't really as interesting or important as the great wheeling, boiling viciously beautiful infinity above us. Our efficiency as consumers may be affected.

Wow. That was a bit intense. I think I need a lie down. And a Coke........

Does the light shine into a bedroom? Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that if you want to report it to the local council, saying it distrupts your (or a childs) sleep will have a better response than saying you are an astronomer.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking exactly the same thing - I have an agreement with a local farmer, I can go sit outside one of teh field barns with the scope and my air-rifle, i get to split my time between hunting for stars and hunting for Rats :)

Hi

John I understand how you feel. I am in the same position. Stupid lights no good for nothing. My advice to you would be as same as the other guys. Tell the council it is disturbing your sleep and if they do not do anything about it you will tell your local newspaper. That will get there attention.

Mohammed

i dont think they will take it down now its up. but i have heard of them putting guards on them to stop the light shining a certain direction for the above stated reasons.

hope you get you view back soon. star

Horrible luck!

I've heard a story about a fellow who quietly installed a key-locked switch on the electrical access plate at the base of the light. Now he can use a key to turn off the light for an hour or two, then turn it back on when he is done observing.

There was the other story about the fellow with the long telescoping pole and the bright glow stick - put the glow stick up near the light sensor on top and -poof- out goes the light because the sensor thinks it is daylight....

A horrible pack of vandals, to be sure. :(

I'm not even sure the rumors are true.... still - all kidding aside, electricity is nothing to fool with if you don't know what you are doing. We could read about "Astronomer electrocuted fiddling with streetlight" in the local paper. :)

And if all else fails, they say there is a .45 caliber solution for every lighting problem! :p

Dan

Archived