Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Should I Upgrade to 2" EP's?

When I bought my 8" SCT I was advised to get 2" eyepieces. Why would this be, what would it give me over the 1.25"?

I understand the diagonal would have an adaptor to 1.25 so my existing eyepieces would'nt be wasted. I'm thinking before I buy anymore ep's I should decide what size to go for.

Any advice gratefully received!!

John

hi John

to some extent it depends on your main observing preferences.

if you want to look eg at planets, double stars and the moon then really there's no benefit at all to buying 2" eyepieces. in fact anything that will fit within your existing eyepieces will be just as good in them assuming the same optical quality all round.

if you wish to move to observing wider targets like open clusters and the larger nebulae or wish to scan around and see more sky or targets in more context and or would like a wide field finder, then 2" eyepieces come into their own. there will of course always be an upper limit to the field of view that a particular scope can manage.

really 2" eyepieces are not an upgrade just a way to see more sky in the eyepiece.

the upgrade comes more with the quality of the eyepiece not the format.

one thing's for sure, the wider the field and the larger the eyepiece the more the cost if you buy good quality. so as suggested by John, most people have just one or two wide field eps. I tend to bunch eyepieces together more at the other end for higher mags.

You will use your short focal length 1.25s on the planets and small objects and your widefield, long focal length EPs on the large objects. There is no advantage at all to a short fl 2 inch. Once you move to widefield EPs the 1.25 inch tube restricts the field of view so to get wider view you need a wider tube.

The widest view possible in 1.25 inch is afforded by something like the 32mm TeleVue Plossl.

Since the SCTs leave you a bit boxed in because of their long FL, a premium 2 inch EP opens out the view nicely. Talk to your bank manager and buy a 21mm TeleVue Ethos. I just did that with mine and she was very understanding...

Olly

You probably could just buy one 2" ep maybe two. An eyepiece which gives you the widest field of view in your scope would be handy to have this would be low power and maybe another for med to high powers. Your scope is f10 so you don't have to spend a fortune to get good views. A Televue 55mm Plossl would give you x36 mag and 1.3 degree field of view, I think this is the max for you scope.

Olly,

Just checked ther price on that, I think I need the name of your bank manager!!

The general concsensus seems to be that I should go for a 2" diagonal and maybe somewhere around 20mm and 32mm 2" ep's to compliment my higher power 1.25's?

What do you think good mid range options be?

Thanks,

John

Hi Johnboy

We have the same scope the first eyepieces I ever got was Meade 5000 9mm

meade 4000 12mm 15mm (26mm that came with the scope) 32mm and still use them

I have upgraded to a 2" diagonal a Revelation

eyepieces 12mm Nagler and a 17mm Nagler I also have a Meade 18mm UWA all with a 82 FOV and I could never go back and just for hunting down view I use a

Moonfish 30mm, John(Jahmanson)likes good eyepieces and his are even better

but any of the Tele Vue range and great start at about £83.00

Doug

Essex

Archived