26 Nagler, 21 Ethos?

The real help I need from the Equipment Help board is for someone to tell me not to do it, but there is zilch chance of that around here...

So of the two, mainly for use in an f4.1 20 inch and TEC140 when not bunged up with camera? I am not worried about eye relief or tricky 'issues' for myself but I do have folks staying who might find a 'difficult' EP... difficult!

I won't, on principle, buy TeleVue design rip-offs because I like and respect the firm.

Olly

Okay, don't do it :)

Seriously though I have no experience of either 26 Nagler or 21 Ethos in a f/4.1 scope. (With Paracorr? I think you might need it ....) But I would have thought that either would give a great experience to casual viewers ... on balance I think the 21 would be better because the 26 would have a 6.34mm exit pupil which is IMO a bit much for most people & the shadow of the central obstruction can get to be an issue with an oversize exit pupil in a reflecting scope.

Either would of course work beautifully in your TEC140.

not quite the same but i have the 26 and a 17 ethos and often i slightly prefer the views in the 26.

I know they have different mags and contrast etc. but i just seem to find the 82AFoV more comfortable to use that the 100.

Dont get me wrong, it's a technical marvel but if it's comfort for the masses then the nagler may be a better bet.

Cheers

Hello Olly

I was seriously thinking of selling my 26mm Nagler and buying the 21mm Ethos so I went to Astrofest to make the final decision.

I was fortunate to be able to chat with David Nagler for 10 minutes about my scope and EPs.

He asked me how satisfied I was with my Nagler to which I replied that it was brilliant in both my Dob and Frac. He reminded me that the TFOV with the 21mm Ethos and the 26mm Nagler were almost the same but that I might find the sky slightly darker with the Ethos. The exit pupil on my f4.7 Dob is 5.5 which I find OK.

In the end it was about money. I could sell my Nagler for £300 and would need to find about another £370 (special 20% offer) to buy the Ethos.

In the end I decided that it was not worth the extra outlay so I have stayed with the Nagler.

Mark

Yep, this all started when I thought about the exit pupil of the current 35 Pan being over 8 mm. A lot of those 20 inches are going to waste. And a lot of my guests are not young, so a small exit pupil becomes important. I can feel my first Ethos approaching... you know, like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid approaching a train which has money in it...

If Linton is reading this it is YOUR fault for bringing the first Ethos to my place and MAKING me look through it. You scoundrel, Sir!

Ethos it is.

Olly

• 1 year later...

Fast forward 14months......

What did you do in the end up Olly? I have often daydreamed about the 21mm Ethos to complete a 21,13, 8mm set but the £700 price tag keeps me well and truly in check!

Archived