Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light Pollution Filter

I am seriously considering the purchase of a light pollution filter. Can I expect a big improvement, a mediocre improvement, no change or a miracle?

Despite the LP, though I can't say that the situation is so bad, most bright objects are still visible....The full moon effect seems to be much more detrimental than the LP....

I bought a Baader Neodymium filter "Moon & Skyglow" - I am somewhat underwhelmed by it, maybe the LP I have is generated by lights that are not strongly attenuated by the filter. I did not expect a night and day difference but if there is an effect, it is slight.

I had planned on getting a pollution filter this month, but the local council have just started putting in new street lamps, moving away from the old yellow sodium type to a 'brighter' whiter type. So now I'm waiting for them to finish before spending money on a filter that might not work in a few weeks.

George,

Not sure where you can get them in the UK but the Lumicon range (link below) is excellent,but expensive compared to the SW range.

Over the years I built up the deep sky,UHC and OIII filters 1.25" only.

If I only had to have one it would be the deep sky filter for picking galaxies out a bit more easily in our LP skies.

Though I am considering the 2" Baader Neodymium Filter for a widefield 2" eyepiece.

Filters - A World Center in Astronomy Industry Telescope Accessories

George,

Not sure where you can get them in the UK but the Lumicon range (link below) is excellent,but expensive compared to the SW range.

Over the years I built up the deep sky,UHC and OIII filters 1.25" only.

If I only had to have one it would be the deep sky filter for picking galaxies out a bit more easily in our LP skies.

Though I am considering the 2" Baader Neodymium Filter for a widefield 2" eyepiece.

Filters - A World Center in Astronomy Industry Telescope Accessories

Actually I am in the UAE, the filter must come by mail order, I am thinking of ordering a celestron LP filter item no. 94123 and I am ordering it from USA from a dealer called asavings, from whom I also ordered a 32mm EP and a barlow x2 EP. Of course, the dealer in Dubai has all of these, but individually they are ridicilously expensive:eek: so that one is compelled to buy the celestron briefcase with several EPs filters and barlows, which I think is not necessary at this stage for me.

Gentlemen, in the end i could not buy any celestron filters because celestron forbids online dealers to sell to UAE, all celestron accessories must be bought from the dealer, so I purchased the Baader Neodynium Filter and a Omegon Lunar Filter from www.astroshop.eu

Ahh, I didn't notice that you were in the UAE. I was going to suggest FLO, who might be able to accept a return on a filter if it's not the best one for you so that you can try another one instead.

I think you'll find the Baader Neodynium filter to do the job, but it all depends on the type of light pollution you've got.

Archived