NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recommend Solvent for grease removal?

Hi All,

I plan to remove my rack and pinion focuser and take off the thick grease factory installed on my Celestron 150 and replace it with some lithium grease. Could anyone please recommend a suitable solvent for emoving the grease. I'm sure even white spirits would do it but just wondered are they are do's or don'ts. Thanks very much.

Bart

I think WD40 would also work.

However...

russ, in his thread in Equipment reviews "Skywatcher Skytee 2 - First Impression" says the use of high viscosity grease is a conscious decision by the manufacturers as it cuts down the need for maintenance.

If you want to completely remove grease (hydrocarbon based) use a hydrocarbon based solvent - white spirit, petrol or kerosene will do it without leaving much deposit. WD40 will leave a film of light oil (it's a solution of oil in a solvent).

When you have degreased something thoroughly, you need to protect it quickly with oil/clean grease or whatever or it will begin to rust quite rapidly.

If you need to degrease an optical surface (we all have at some stage) the best solvent is the (legal) freon sold for cleaning film and slides which leaves no deposits and doesn't appear to attack any plastic around, unlike many other solvents.

Chris (Chartered Chemist in day-job).

Stripped it down this afternoon using white spirits and regreased it with lithium grease from a motor factor. Pretty easy. Only difficult bit was trying to hold the nut inside the OTA to receive the thread from the screw holding the focuser. In the end had to tape the nut onto a small spanner and then thread the screw into it all the time minding the secondary. Probably needs recollimation now.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Bart

Archived