Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar 100 map

JamesF

I discovered the other day that my lunar 100 map with it's red location markers is completely unreadable with my red torch. So, I've mangled the PDF file a bit and made myself a new one that has blue markers instead. It's not the best possible solution because it's based on a PDF of a bitmapped image, but I'm hopeful that it should do the job.

If anyone else would like to try a copy, let me know.

James

Yes, i only use a red light for deep sky observations. :)

When there's sufficient light, the color-sensitive 'cones' in our eyes dominate our vision. Using a white light activates these cones and allows us to detect colors on planets and certain lunar features like the Aristarchus Plateau.

In low-light situations, our vision is dominated by contrast-sensitive 'rods'. They dominate our peripheral vision and allow us to detect dim objects via averted vision. :glasses1:

If there's only a small area of moon that's lit though, I'd like to keep my night vision so I can look at DSOs when I can't find any of those awkward features near the limb :)

James

But you will lose your night vision as soon as you look at the moon...

Or do you use a very dark ND filter for it?

Archived