Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher explorer 150p

So far (Since mid January) I've seen:

Jupiter (moons and equatorial belts, north and south, unfortunately earth based weather systems always seem to be around when the great red spot comes into view!)

For planetary detail (rings, belts etc) I used the stock 2x Barlow and 10mm EP which magnify around 150x.

Saturn's rings and two of its moons (Titan and Dionysus)

Moon (obvs!)

Venus (waxing gibbous phase clearly viewable)

M42 - The Orion Nebula

M31 - The Andromeda Galaxy

M45 - The Pleiades

M44 - The Beehive cluster

Taken these pictures so far by pointing the camera down the lens.

Planets - a set on Flickr

In short, it's a great scope!

So far (Since mid January) I've seen:

Jupiter (moons and equatorial belts, north and south, unfortunately earth based weather systems always seem to be around when the great red spot comes into view!)

For planetary detail (rings, belts etc) I used the stock 2x Barlow and 10mm EP which magnify around 150x.

Saturn's rings and two of its moons (Titan and Dionysus)

Moon (obvs!)

Venus (waxing gibbous phase clearly viewable)

M42 - The Orion Nebula

M31 - The Andromeda Galaxy

M45 - The Pleiades

M44 - The Beehive cluster

Taken these pictures so far by pointing the camera down the lens.

Planets - a set on Flickr

In short, it's a great scope!

Love the photos!!! Amazing!

can anyone tell me what i am likely to see with my new explorer? detail on the major planets, nebuae,clusters and such? only asking as i havent had the chance to enjoy as yet!

I posted these in another thread but will post them again for your benefit - I only got the scope in January and only had the chance to use it three, maybe four times, however in that time it has impressed me a lot!.. I also purchased the drives for the EQ3-2 mount, but if you decide to buy the drives, just get the single drive for tracking - its too slow to use it for slewing the scope around. These were all taken with the DSLR attached to the scope directly - single shot exposures at around 30 secs each - with the nebula it will not look like this through the eyepiece, although it is a wonderful washy blue cloud.

If you have any questions feel free to drop me a line!

post-23171-13387753434_thumb.jpg

post-23171-133877534346_thumb.jpg

post-23171-133877534354_thumb.jpg

Hi Simms,

I'm thinking of buying the 150PL tube assy. How do you rate the EQ3 with your 150p on board ?

With just the OTA strapped on it seems to be fine - as long as its balanced right everything works as expected, although bear in mind this is my first scope so I dont really have anything to compare it to. However, once I add the extra weight of a DSLR (a Canon 1Dmk3, a pretty hefty beast) then things can get a bit wobbly - not to the point of unusable, but one has to be careful around it whilst imaging.

I think the PL version is a wee bit heavier than the standard `P` so you might need to bear that in mind. Give FLO a call, I am sure they will help you out.

Archived