Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light No. 5...Near Oman Border

During last night I watched Total Recall, one of my favourite Arnie films.

This morning I went to a sandy bushy area near the Oman Border about 10 kms from here and set up in the sand at 01:30....Of course, the Moon was very very bright, and also I had forgotten to pack my 25 mm EP...So with only my 9 mm EP, I had no choice but to look at the Moon and Saturn. Mostly I looked at Saturn and listened to mp3 s on my mobile phone...This time it was pleasant about 18C and no wind at all, I could see Saturn very clearly and I can't wait to use my barlow 2x when it arrives...Saturn is still the size of a small peanut... I could see Titan clearly and 3 of the moons but they wouldn't be there all the time, they would appear and disappear.

The night was so bright, I was even reading my Astronomy guide book without artificial illumination, I could even see the tripod bubble...Imagine if I go there on a dark night...The location is good, about 500 m inland from the highway and the street lights, and some low bushes obscuring the car...However, there were some mosquitoes, but i must say they were not the aggresive type...Didn't see any snakes, although the whole area looked like it should have some. Could hear cockerells in the distance and wild donkeys braying too. Plus young Arab guys doing some Fast and Furious car races in the distance, (they do that around here in the early morning hours)..

I had a look at Arcturus and Spica, the only two stars I could sort of easily find using my 9 mm EP. I really missed my 25 mm EP tonight and I am also looking forward to my 32 mm EP that I ordered...

Came back home at around 04:00, getting ready for a lie in till 14:00 or so...Here we get off Fridays.

Hi,

I really enjoy your reports, keep them coming!

I find it interesting to hear from someone who observes from a completely different environment from us in the UK.

Glad to hear you are really enjoying your time under the stars.

Clear skies.

Archived