Using a DBK/DFK with a Netbook.

Just getting my head around these cameras for planetary imaging.DBK 21AU04.AS and DFK 21AU04.AS

I understand there are 2 types, firewire connected and USB 2.0.

I've been informed that the firewire version wont work with a Netbook so I'm just making sure that the USB 2.0 version works ok with a Netbook.....I assume it connects the same as a webcam solely with the USB cable?

My netbook is Intel Atom N270. 1.6GHz .1GB RAM.

Is the only difference between a DBK & DFK that the DFK has a IR filter and the DBK does not?

Pass. My reaction is to run a mile from any computer bearing HP branding, but things may have improved in the few years since I had one. As for MS Office - definitely avoid that; it's a security 'mare, OpenOffice is compatible, much cheaper and much more secure.

Hi Spaceboy, I have been using a netbook for a while and the DMK firewire worked fine with my netbook. Not a dickie bird wrong with it. I have a firewire to usb adapter which I was using, but now that I have sold my DMK I am actually going to sell the adapter too.

Hi Spaceboy, I have been using a netbook for a while and the DMK firewire worked fine with my netbook. Not a dickie bird wrong with it. I have a firewire to usb adapter which I was using, but now that I have sold my DMK I am actually going to sell the adapter too.

Ok, now I'm confused. I was recommended this adapter FIREWIRE 6 PIN FEMALE TO USB MALE ADAPTOR CONNECTOR: Amazon.co.uk: Electronicsbut someone else said it only provides 5v as 12v power supply is needed.

As mentioned previously...The DMK firewire series will NOT operate on the 5v available from the PC bus. You definately need an external 12V supply. You can get 4 pin firewire cables which also have an additional 2.5mm 12V socket and terminate in a 6 pin connection for the camera.

Always a bit of a minefield with adapters. As a general rule 4 pin needs external power supply and 6 pin supplies power via cable. Now, looking at the specs of the camera it needs 4.5 - 5.5v which normally would be ok via 6 pin FW cable. However, as you would be using a USB - FW adapter it depends on the spec of the USB port on the PC. It may not supply enough current to power the USB camera version either.

I had a quick look on lindy (lindy.co.uk) and Maplins site and didn't see any FW-USB adapters listed which makes me wonder if it's too much of a hit and miss.

DMK's faq does say external psu's are available so that may be a solution but it's always nice to minimise cables.

Personaly I prefer FW devices as the sustained transfer rate of FW400 is higher than USB2. However I'm also a Mac user and FW is standard. Unless your netbook has an Expresscard slot, therefore giving you the option of fitting a FW card ( I doubt it) I'd go for the USB version, bearing in mind your USB port must be able to supply enough current (500ma) for the camera. Otherwise you'll need the external psu too. Thats why a lot of USB disks use 2 USB ports because of the power consumption. ( well on PC's.. get a Mac :glasses1:)

Hope that helps..

My experience:

I bought three...one , two, three PCMCIA to firewire adaptors each of which claimed the 6 wire powered firewire was available.

ALL three of them had no power capabilities!!!! the were just 4 pin to 6 pin equivalent - no additional power.

The next one "assured" me it supplied power to the 6 pin connector...

guess what...if it did supply any power it sure couldn't power the DMK!!!

I finally found a PCMCIA card which had a socket built-in for external power (12V) and guess what...it worked first time...everytime.

I updated the laptop to a Dell which only uses a smaller Express card slot but did manage to find a similar card with an additional 12V socket.

I can only tell you what worked for me.

My experience:

I can only tell you what worked for me.

Yup, best advice always comes from someone who's been through the pain!

One other thing I just remembered, MS crippled FW in XP with SP2. so if anyone does use XP with FW it's worth knowing they dropped the bus speed right down by default. I don't have the info to hand right now but theres a patch and registry hack to get it working at full speed needed.

Archived